Cabin Creek ???? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Cabin Creek ????

OK Ive stewed long enough and need to throw this post out there and by no means do I mean any disrespect but what the heck is going on there??? I saw another post that there were not many people at the table and I must agree. I was a bit taken back when I asked how much it would run me if I supplied a Rice barrel, Delux Siler Lock, and a the wood for the stock. I have know Brad for about 10 years now. I was talking to his son Shane and the response I got about knocked me for a loop------ I supply the important pieces and he wanted $3000 to build a (PLAIN) Lancaster gun. I am guessing business is so great they dont need more or the economy is so bad they are upping the prices to the point it must put them out of business???? I will call Brad personally but at those prices I will build the ugliest gun you have ever seen. I will most likely go to Don Getz if I cant get Don Yerks to come out of retirement to build my son the next flintlock......

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:02 AM
Regular Visitor

Re: Cabin Creek ????

Bunky,

Barrel……………………………….........$250.00
Lock………………………………...........$125.00
Wood ($100.00-$500.00)………….$250.00
-------------
$625.00

Perhaps if you feel that strongly maybe you should start building long rifles yourself.

$3625.00 to me sounds about right for a plan rifle. Don't forget Brad is one of "very" few who can actually build an entire rifle by hand. This may not mean much to you but this does mean that he gets a premium when it comes to prices. And rightfully so.

Chris Laubach
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:31 AM

there is a huge difference between a stocker and a black powder gun smith/ Some guys can and do forge and make the locks, barrels trggers etc. Some buy such parts ready made and incorporate them into a piece of pretty wood. What you and i would do in building a long rifle is basically the task of a stocker. Brads expertise for restoration of originals has apparently created a great demand. I had him work on a flint long rifle several years ago. It works great now. Cost was reasonable. I am a bit amazed by the price that was quoted. Try to price a Gustler or Carl Pippert rifle if you want sticker shock. i heard that Gustler was getting $8,000 a gun 40 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 02:09 AM

To an extent it is like some groups of attorneys who feel that they all deserve $300.00 per hour. I have carved a few stocks from scratch and have an appreciation for the incredible amount of labor required. I have never made a fancy rifle, the task of doing a good job to inlay a patchbox is rather intimidating. That particular job would probably take me months and months. Just the amount of work involved at a reasonable living wage, paying for overhead etc, would be expensive. I have no idea how many hours Brad has in making a plain rifle. he certainly is far better and more efficient at it than I would be. So he can afford to do it at a price which takes into account that it takes fewer hours.

I have been dreaming about a fancy CPA tyrolean style Scheutzen rifle built to my specs, complete with hooked butt plate and palm rest. A price of $4,000 would be cheap.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 02:10 AM

I think the reason that the "famous" gun builders demand so much for their firearms is that once they put their name on the gun the gun becomes a "work of art by a famous gun builder" and you will get more than you paid for it if you should ever sell it.
You can get a TVM for about $1500.00 ready to shoot out of the box and it will shoot just as good and any custom made work of art.
It all comes down to a matter of choice and cash.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Brad is at the top of his game in a small specialized industry. He can build you a gun from iron ore and a tree, very few can do that. I know most of these guys, some can be aloof at times, but most artists are the same way. They "like" to build the one off masterpieces, the high end gun, the bench copy of a a famous rifle, etc. They do not "like" to build common plain guns, but being savvy business men, they will, however you will pay a premium for them to put their name on it. I suppose they have earned that right. There are many, many good guys who can assemble a kit gun or start from a rough lathed stock blank and make a pretty rifle, and it will not be $3000. I see where Bunky is coming from, but also cannot justify that price for a plain gun. I guess an analogy would be walking into Cartier Jewelers and asking for a discount diamond, its just not going to happen !

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

I think BUNKY's question got lost---he was supplying ""ALL"" the parts and wanted them assembled into a finished rifle
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I see his question clearly, but they just don't like to do builds that way. If your truck needs brakes and tires, and you show up at the repair shop with all the parts, most places will not install the stuff. They don't know where it came from. Same way with Cabin Creek or any other well known builder. If you want his name on it, you play the game his way, period. He is just doing what any savvy business owner does when they don't really want the job, price it out of sight. If the customer says go ahead, he makes a nice profit, if not he loses nothing. An upstart builder cannot afford to do that, an accomplished builder can. With backlogs of several years for the best builders, you will dance to their tune if you want their gun. Bunky is not wrong at all, neither is Brad, thats supply and demand in a specialized industry thats booming.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

<span style="color: #000000">I see some of the valid points here but knowing what Ive been quoted by Brad in the past to build a gun with everything coming from him (yes an Emig gun) it was no where near what Im quoted for bringing in top quality parts----Rice competition barrel 250 Delux Siler Lock 130 Davis Set Triggers ...etc.... These are the best on the market so its not like Im taking in crap. Chris I feel like you took offense to my post and by no means did I insinuate an artist should not be paid what something is worth --- I do feel in this case when our hobby, sport, interest, passion, becomes priced such that you eliminate the ability for many to purchase so be it---I would love to have Brads name on a gun but Im not about to lay out that kind of money nor will most people when there is nothing special (custom) about the gun. A custom gun YES---custom means just that its made and decorated by the builder with parts MADE BY THE BUILDER. This is a semi custom gun at best when the parts are made by others. I hope this makes sense and was by no means a bashinhg of Brad or any other builder---CUSTOM is much different than SEMI-Custom.</span>

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:48 PM

I can understand everyone's point. If you have most of the parts why don't you check out one of the gunbuilding classes that cabincreek offers or the jacobsburg historical society? If I remember right you are a school teacher and perhaps they have classes during the summer. Just an idea. Brad built my gun with parts that he supplies and was not that much. I do agree with the other posters on how he just might not want to use parts brought in by a customer eventhough they are top notch parts

Friends don't let friends buy inlines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page