4Likes
  • 1 Post By blackpowder
  • 1 Post By USAF_SP
  • 2 Post By USAF_SP

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Powder horns and possibles bags

Now that I am hooked on flintlocks, I need some accessories. Any advice on buying powder horns and possibles bags? Anything I need to look out for or avoid? I'm not looking to break the bank but I don't want to buy cheap crap that I will just end up replacing in a year either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 08:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

make your own? that's another route you could go.
Ron pa likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 10:10 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would also say make your own, It's not hard to do and can be done with a few basic hand tools.

start by googling "traditional powder horns" and "traditional muzzleloader shooting bags"
compare the "look" that antiques or repo's of antiques have compared to generic Hollywood looking equipment.

it doesn't have to be fancy, there was beautiful work being done back then (and also now), but a lot of it was done by home craftsman, very plain looking but rugged.

there is a series of books that was put out annually called the Book of Buckskinning, some of them had good chapters on getting started making shooting bags (including sewing) and powder horns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 10:14 AM

I bought a couple small, polished horns a while back on a whim. Knocked out a functional powder horn one evening with scrap maple wood and two finishing nails. Think I picked up the horns at Dixon's Gun makers fair last summer cheap. Leatherman makes nice possibles bags as well as other accessories. Not cheap, but not bank breaking. Excellent stuff

The Leatherman line of premium leather muzzleloading supplies and shot gun shell belt bags. Accu-riser line of cheek pads and comb risers
casey likes this.

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 01:09 PM
The Man

.... Grey Bear Leather. Well made and reasonably priced.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of doing a powder horn myself. Will just buy the bag since that seems like much more of a project. Anything to look out for when it comes to a horn to use? Are they all created equal? Will have to buy online since I donít know of anywhere local that sells them.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 07:50 PM

The horn I whipped out one evening. Scrap maple for the end plug, couple pieces of maple dowel rod I put together for spout plug and 2 finishing nails bent and cut to length (next project I will brown them). Picked up a strap at the Artisans Show last Saturday. I needed a functional horn for this winter's woods walk league. My other one would not pour 2F powder well. Happened to have a couple polished horns on the bench and I got motivated one evening. Nothing fancy, but works like a charm. Added to brass tacks Saturday evening to dress it a little before I put the strap on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horn1.jpg (149.0 KB, 8 views)
blackpowder and Retired_Rusty like this.

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

flea markets and antique stores can be places to find unfinished horns

horns naturally curve to hang better either on your left side or right side, if you have a preference which side you want to carry it on that would be something to look for.

some horns will need to be scraped down on outside to take off extra weight, sometimes the color on outside will change as it's scraped down, most times the color on inside of horn is what it will be when done, if color is important (scrimshaw) try to check out color on inside
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 06:13 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by burghwolfe View Post
Now that I am hooked on flintlocks, I need some accessories. Any advice on buying powder horns and possibles bags? Anything I need to look out for or avoid? I'm not looking to break the bank but I don't want to buy cheap crap that I will just end up replacing in a year either.

You might want to investigate "Powder Horns and More" for unfinished horns and other related items. They provide a description of the horn ...which is valuable if buying one to make for yourself. They have a website and also place horns on ebay.

Scott and Cathy Sibley have published a book......"Recreating the 18th Century Powder Horn" that will get anyone interested in making a horn started in the right direction.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 12:07 PM
Banned

I bought a couple polished horns when I was at Dixon's gun maker's fair a couple years ago. I turned out two nice horns, one for my son and one for myself in short order. They're nothing fancy but they work.

As for a possibles bag, Crazycrow.com sells some nice ones for reasonable amounts. Plus they sell a kit that you can then make a bag yourself. I bought two of these kits and created two nice bags, again one for my son and one for myself. I think they were something like $25 for the kit. Well worth it if you see some of the prices people want for bags they produce and sell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page