hunt with a flintlock pistol? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

hunt with a flintlock pistol?

I have a flintlock pistol, it is a Traditions Trapper in the 50 cal. flintlock. It has the 9 3/4" barrel with a 1 in 20" twist. Can I use it to hunt with or is it too short? Also any advice on loads to run through it? Thanks! Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 04:13 AM

Re: hunt with a flintlock pistol?

You cannot hunt with the pistol. The game and wildlife code states that it must be a long gun. Check your hunting reg book pp 45 1/2 way down right column.

LJS 1/25/48-11/3/13
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 04:15 AM

I stand corrected as I read on it states 50 caliber or larger handgun using single projectile ammunition

LJS 1/25/48-11/3/13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

PRB and 20 gr of powder is all I would use at 25 yards.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 01:16 PM

Your trapper is pretty heavily made and can easily handle a 50 or 60 grain charge. (I have one) I don't suspect the 50 bore can get much more oomph out of a charge than that, Although TC advises 70 grains of black in their 50 cal Scout percussion pistol for hunting with a max charge of 80 gr. Certainly the TC Scout percussion is a more direct ignition and some pressure is lost through the touch hole of your trapper, so the power is less, but the 70 grain load for the TC Scout was pretty fair for hunting.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 08:07 PM

Per the TC tables for the Scout pistol in 50 cal., a 70 grain charge would result in a 1479 ft/sec velocity and a muzzle energy of 850 ft/lbs. Your traditions would probably run about 10 to 15% less
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 08:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Here is a copy of the Traditions manual, Page 5, has the most accurate and maximun loads.
MANUAL
Hope this helps.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I built a .54 cal. pistol with quality parts to match my Brad Emig Yorktown .54 cal. rifle. It turned out better than I expected, and I fully intended to carry it during flintlock seasons for, "up-close-and-personal" opportunities which occur once every several years.

I walked tall and proud to the pistol range at my gun club's 25 yard pistol station, and smugly alligned the sights on a 3ft. by 3ft. square of butcher paper with an official NMLRA 100 yd. target placed in the middle. After five shots, we're still looking for a hole!

I can't shoot pistols for squat, and never could! I might carry it for show this fall, but it certainly won't be loaded!

I honestly don't feel our flintlock season needs the inclusion of flintlock pistols. I can't invision a Pennsylvania hunter of the 1770's attempting to supply venison for his family with a pistol! If my frontier family is hungry, I certainly wouldn't attempt a questionable pistol shot when I'm certain of a clean kill with my flintlock rifle or smoothbore.

This, flintlock pistol business, highlights what our original flintlock season was NOT all about. Recreating a hunt in a winter of 1770's, meant attempting to harvest a whitetail under the most adverse conditions possible to enable your family to make it for another few weeks of winter.

Absolutely no one envisioned our flintlock season in 1974, as another opportunity to shoot a deer. If you haven't harvested a deer during the more than ample archery season, or taken one during the rifle season, the flintlock season should be looked upon as simply another visit to the local butcher to fulfill the larder with beef and pork for the lean months of winter.

The honest truth is, a flintlock pistol probably won't alter the menu!

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 10:12 PM

Agree. I once tried to carry my .357 Pistol, strapped on my side, during Buck Season. All it did was bang off my Rifle stock! So, I`m supposin` a Flinter pistol would just get in the way too. With my Great Plains Percussion Pistol I can hold a 1-2 in. Group at 25yds. Shooting from a Bench that is. Offhand... vastly different story.....
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 01:43 AM

Geesh. I have never been a super pistol shot, I have had some really good targets. Best I ever did was a 3 inch five shot group at 25 yds, with a crude 45 cal perc side lock. Normally I can keep them on a 6 inch circle at 25 yds, which I think is good for a deer at that range. I have shot groundhogs to about 50 yards with a cap and ball revolver. My inline target pistol can shoot a 1.4 inch group at 25 yds off a bench, probably better with finer sights. However, with my trapper at 25 yds, I am lucky to keep them on the paper. I have never worked with it enough to shoot it proficiently. It needs badly to be tuned.

I shoot several different muzzleloading and black powder pistols. The trapper is probably the least accurate.

Considering the cost of powder and ball on the frontier, it may be as likely that the Pa frontiersman used a bow and arrow for his venison. And snares for small game.

While Kentucky pistols existed. I suspect that most pistols were horse pistol type for close range fighting and rapid second shots. probably smoothbores at that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page