GWH Annual Flintlock Shoot - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

GWH Annual Flintlock Shoot

The Goodwill Hill Sportsman Club is having it's annual Flintlock Shoot on Feb. 24th. Come on out if you can make it! 45cal and up roundball only. 13 steel targets at various distances. Hit the egg, popsickle stick, split the roundball on axe head etc. It will be followed by a wild game feast. PM for details on cost and start time. Thanks, hope you can make it! It's a BLAST!

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 05:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

if I might ask, why .45 cal and up?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

We had a couple snipers showing up every year with 32 cal. Squirrel guns. They won like 3 years in row. All of our regulars had no chance of winning, so we changed to that format. We normally get around 50 shooters. A score of 11 or 12 normally wins the money. Best I've ever done is 10.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 06:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushmaster View Post
We had a couple snipers showing up every year with 32 cal. Squirrel guns. They won like 3 years in row. All of our regulars had no chance of winning, so we changed to that format. We normally get around 50 shooters. A score of 11 or 12 normally wins the money. Best I've ever done is 10.

anybody that can split the ball with a .32 and beat out .54's and .62's I'm not sure I would label them as snipers like it's a bad thing, more like their just good shots that have probably paid their dues with a lot of practice.

never heard of this at a match for this reason, this is sorta like dumbing down the match like some kind of T-ball game
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Gus View Post
anybody that can split the ball with a .32 and beat out .54's and .62's I'm not sure I would label them as snipers like it's a bad thing, more like their just good shots that have probably paid their dues with a lot of practice.

never heard of this at a match for this reason, this is sorta like dumbing down the match like some kind of T-ball game
It's a private club we can do as we please as far as the rules go. These guys are great shots and never missed. They can still attend, just not with a rifle under 45 cal. We still allow the general public to attend this shoot and have never had a complaint. This rule change was made years ago to level the playing field. Kind of like a handicap in golf. If you don't like rule, don't attend. It's that easy.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 08:14 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Obviously you can make the rules in your club as you please, and people can either compete or not.

I wonder how something like this would of went over years ago if you told Alvin York he couldn't shoot his favorite rifle at the local shooting match because he was winning too often.

this still has the feel of the dumbing down of America to it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Gus View Post
Obviously you can make the rules in your club as you please, and people can either compete or not.

I wonder how something like this would of went over years ago if you told Alvin York he couldn't shoot his favorite rifle at the local shooting match because he was winning too often.

this still has the feel of the dumbing down of America to it.
You are defiantly entitled to your opinion, and are welcome to shoot. We could have just wrote these gentlemen a check every year for their winnings and saved some powder thats for sure. There was know beating them.Think of it as asking a pool hustler not to hustle on your table.
It really hasn't dumbed it down at all. It's a tough shoot. We normally end up with a 100 yard shoot off for 1st. Normally guys will tie at 12 or 13 hits. I'm not that good, and my best has been 10. Hope you can make it.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 08:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

wasn't this a big topic a few years ago? we had the same problem several years ago at a club I was in and helping run the shoots. we had a father and 2 sons coming and if they were there, that was usually 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. they were shooting flintlocks, so the percussion folks wanted their own class to get away from them. they were good and rightfully so, they put in the time and were very good. i'm with K.gus on this one myself BUT, it is your shoot and your rules and that is the way it is. good luck with your shoot and hopefully you will have some good weather and a good turn out.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:03 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It's been a couple years but I shot in this shoot a few years and it is a great time.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

The shoot is this Saturday if any of you Rock Knockers are looking for something to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page