an observation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By blackpowder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

an observation

walking outside by my shooting window the other day, I picked up a couple balls I had blown out of my .62 with air to unload it. what a surprise to see the huge scores were I had used my ball starter to start the balls. I have shot that gun a couple hundred times and always loaded with that starter and really have not had any grouping issues. I do enough shooting that I have been shooting balls with imperfections (wrinkles, pin holes, ect.) in them to see what happens. never saw any issues with them and seemed to shoot to my satisfaction. goes to show how the small things like that for hunting, really aren't an issue. guess I will put another end on the starter. I made that starter 35 years ago and used a 30 06 case that I drilled the primer hole out and it needs more of a curve for the bigger balls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0757.jpg (196.7 KB, 15 views)
Windsniffer likes this.

Last edited by blackpowder; 01-26-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 08:04 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've always been a big fan of "making something from nothing," as my father used to say. Getting 35 years of use from a .30-06 case surely qualifies! I've got more junk lying around than I should, but every once in awhile I find a use for something that keeps me doing it.

Getting good flight performance from balls like that certainly makes me feel foolish for all the bullets I've cast through the years and tossed back in the melting pot because they didn't look perfect.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 02:29 PM
The Man

Never checked mine but I do leave enough patch material to wrap over the top of the ball.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page