Rendezvous buy - Loading Block - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Rendezvous buy - Loading Block

I bought a few of these at the last Santa Fe Trail Rendezvous in June '17

The guy basically carves out half of the loading block so theres less stress on the patched ball when loading the block up. Plus, the balls hang out further and easily drop into the bore where you then use your short starter and pop'em right in! I have a number of them that hold anywhere from 3, 6 & 7 balls.

All the balls here were cut at the block. Once the lubed patch material is placed over the block, push in the ball then use your patch knife the cut the material away and you are ready to go. Its really nice how the balls are spaced out in a way that the balls are easily placed into the muzzle. Hopefully hes back next year so I can buy some more. Right now, he charges 50 cents per hole. They fit from a .015 patch to my thick .020 hunting patch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 07:44 PM

I make mine from scrap maple I have in the shop. I made a couple 10 holers for a woodswalk league I started shooting in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg block1.jpg (80.5 KB, 6 views)

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 07:58 PM

looks neat, I ' m interested in trying to make one can you give measurements and instructions how to make one ,thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 08:18 PM

I used 1/2 inch thick maple (can be a little thinner if you want), drill holes on drill press (hand drill will work). The last ones I used Aqua Fortis to stain (I was experimenting with it) but any stain will work. Seal with tongue oil. You may have to sand inside the holes to get the fit you want with the patch you use. Five holers I use for hunting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg load block bit sizes.jpg (103.7 KB, 9 views)

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 06:11 PM
Banned

I made my own loading blocks for myself and my son. Real simple to do with a flat piece of wood and a spade bit in a drill press. Takes probably ten minutes to make and about that much more time to finish. For what some of those guys charge for simple things like these at shows, you're better off making your own.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 06:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

just me, I match my block, starter and knife handle of each gun with the wood of the gun stock (i'm weird!), I also make my block thick enough the whole ball and patch are inside to keep the patch lube from getting on my shirts when it is hanging around my neck. lining it up with the bore isn't a big deal. make it buy it, to each his own, they are handy no matter who makes them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page