how many of you hunt with just the flintlock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

how many of you hunt with just the flintlock

anyone hunt first day of rifle season with flintlock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: how many of you hunt with just the flintlock

I haven't but up to 3 years ago my Pap(in his 80's) did, his eyesights gotten to the point where he can't but from the time we bought him a TC hawken in the early eightys (he only used it or longbow) during that time he took 4 bucks with it 2 were before antler regs., one in the late season that was real special(tough hunt conditions) and one that I was right there with him on opening day we walked in him carrying the smokepole and me a walking stick (tagged out in bow) anyhow we were slipping along a gasline right before light and met up with another hunter would had a synthetic stocked stainless bolt with the biggest scope I'd ever seen he came off a little smug by asking what we thought we were going to do with our setup, well we eased down the ridge to a saddle and sat on a log 10 minutes after shooting light here comes a nice six sshboom and there he lay Dad filled out his tag I field dressed it and Pap suggested the drag to the truck would be easier if we headed straight down to truck I said no I'll drag it out the ridge to the gasline stating that there'd be less obstacles the real reason was wanting to see that guy which we did he looked at us sheepishly and said guess you guys know what you're doing, was priceless the look on his face.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not for the opener, but if I get a buck, I will use it to fill my doe tag. I'll also use it exclusively for the late season in 2B.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms - Thomas Jefferson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I usually don't hunt the opener, but this year I've been invited to hunt from the Pike County camp of a good friend for the first three days. My .54 cal. flintlock will be my gun of choice - rain, snow, or shine.

I sewed up a buckskin calf's knee yesterday and gave it a good coating of mink oil. It is all about keeping the powder dry.

Good luck to everyone heading out, and be safe!

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 09:30 PM
New Arrival

For years, I did not own any type of centerfire rifle. All my deer were got with either a bow or the flintlock. I always took the flintlock on the opener as it was all I had. Now I have a .308, but many of the bucks I have taken with it were easily close enough to have shot with the flintlock.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 11:08 PM

Hunted deer with nothing but a flintlock from `91-`06 (in MI, MO & PA). After taking the last few deer at under 15 yds with the flint, I decided to carry a revolver the last couple years. For the last few years though I never know until the night before whether I'll take the .54 flintler or .41 mag revolver. It'll be the same this year. Though heavily leaning towards the flint again.

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life (Certified RSO,) NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 07:58 AM

I know that I will be getting a lot of lip from some of the people that I hunt with, but I am might carry my flinter out for the first day this year. I want more of a chalenge, and we normally don't do any driving on the first day anyway

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Part of the Community

Fowler for birds, .32, .36 rifle for small game, .40 rifle for varmints and .58 - .66 rifle for when I really mean it. Primarily flinters but occasionally an underhammer. I used to get a lot of flak but the jabber jawing stopped right quick when the thunder & smoke erupted. Was hunting pheasants with some friends, first one of the day got up and two of them emptied their gas auto's, the old .62 fowler barked and down he came. No more lip from any of them the rest of the day. LOL
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I figure I dont have to shhot a deer to feed my family so that said---I hunt only with my bow and if I take a gun out it is only the flintlock....That said---I will hunt this week with my flintlock and possibly my old bow since the new bow has yet to arrive in the mail----

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hey Berksy add a little Bees wax to that knee after soak her good with mink oil!! If you need some I think I have 2 pounds left...just PM me.

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page