Bullet suggestions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Bullet suggestions

After season question? I'm sure this has been asked previously, but looking for current ideas with changing technology. Hunting with a a Thompson Center Firestorm 50 cal and currently shooting 90 grains of 2F with a Hornady .490 round all. I like the gun, nice to carry and consistently fires. Have killed a couple deer with this rifle and never been completely sold on the round ball, especially after this years results, no blood trail. Thankfully we had snow and tracks to follow . Completely understand the ballistic limitations of the round ball, but it patterns well off the bench at hunting yardages. My question, what other bullet options are out there for a 1/48 twist barrel that might provide better ballistics than the roundball? Looking for suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 09:56 PM

I had much better results with Buffalo Ball-ets...an available substitute would be PA Conicals. I believe they are nearly identical...one is 240gr and the other is 245. I know the Ball-ets are solid lead, hollow base, round nosed.

I found with 70gr of powder they shot the same as a PRB with 90gr from my TC Hawken..but they penetrated MUCH better.

I once shot a very large doe quartering towards me at about 25-30yds from a stand. I put the sights on the point of her near shoulder.

Watched her run off and I swore she had a broken rear left leg.

poi I had long white belly hair and bone fragments. That was IT. Made no sense. How'd I hit the belly and leg from a stand?!?! Anytime I find bone fragments it's been a leg hit.

I followed kicked up leaves to the place where I last saw her. Then it was a blood bath and she plowed down the hill dead...

Bullet entered just tight to the right shoulder...it exited right between the rear legs... continued on and broke the left rear leg.

That is pretty dang impressive from a lil ole lead bullet. I had already shot numerous deer with it and was confident in that shot angle...

I shot a few with PRBs and never had an exit. I've since learned that swaged balls might be part of the performance..or lack thereof.

I never got a real big hole or anything from the Ball-ets..but they punched through and always left a follow-able trail.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 06:23 AM

Our choice has been "Cheap shots". A sabot with a 240 grain hollow point soft lead bullet in it . Have been using these for 15 years.
It is used in our Flintlocks and our in lines with 70 grains of 2 F black powder .
4 deer were taken with these this season and they did not go far ! They dropped with in 5 yards and were shot at 80 or more yards !
Try them they are not expensive .
stinkbait likes this.

WILLY P

Last edited by willyp; 01-15-2018 at 06:25 AM. Reason: sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 08:37 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've developed a fondness for the Lee R.E.A.L cast conicals in 250 grain. They are somewhat similar to the Ball-ets in that no patch is needed and they have a longer bearing surface than patched round balls. They are easy to load, clean out fowling from past shots to some extent, are accurate in the faster twist barrels, and seem to penetrate to the depth of the earth. They can be made with minimal expenditure for Lee casting pot and mould or find somebody who is willing to cast some for you. I took a mature doe last week with one of these conicals at 80 yards. The shelves of factory balls, slugs, and sabots in sporting goods stores get passed right by these days, and probably forever.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 09:00 AM
Frequent Contributor

use the Hornady PA coniical in my T/C carbine 1/66 twist and in mt Lyman Deerstalker 1/48 twist. Very accurate in both and do a great job on deer.

ole yeller
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 11:12 AM

I like hornady xtp sabots. They do a number on deer for sure!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 11:13 AM
Banned

The T/C Maxi ball will produce very good accuracy out of a 1/48 twist barrel. I used to shoot them out of my T/C Renegade percussion, and I could consistently get baseball sized groups at 100 yards using about 80 grains of 2fg.

Once I switched over to flint though, I went with the traditional roundball and ever went back. The roundball, if placed right is just as deadly as any other round IMO. The deer I shot last season produced plenty of blood to follow. This year's deer dropped in its tracks, so no need to follow anything. Its all in where they're hit.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 01-15-2018 at 11:17 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Concur 100 percent Blue Bird, no matter the weapon. Thanks for the tips and it's off to the bench to test some additional loads.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 08:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by innatree View Post
...what other bullet options are out there for a 1/48 twist barrel that might provide better ballistics than the roundball? ...
Powerbelt, nothing easier to load, available just about anywhere, no plastic fouling, MANY versions. Shot better than anything out of my 1:48 renegade. They shoot better than anything in my Lyman GPH.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
The T/C Maxi ball will produce very good accuracy out of a 1/48 twist barrel. I used to shoot them out of my T/C Renegade percussion, and I could consistently get baseball sized groups at 100 yards using about 80 grains of 2fg.

Once I switched over to flint though, I went with the traditional roundball and ever went back. The roundball, if placed right is just as deadly as any other round IMO. The deer I shot last season produced plenty of blood to follow. This year's deer dropped in its tracks, so no need to follow anything. Its all in where they're hit.
53 years at it same as Bluebird..Use the 370 GR MAXI-BALL at 70-80 grs of 2 f or 70 grs of 3 f..Use bore button under it on powder ..I am not fan of the MAXI-HUNTERS the longer maxi-ball is better in 1-48 twist...

Also if bore butter you do not like use 348 hollow point powerbelt with same powder above..Heavier PB do better on deer than lighter ones

with rd ball I shoot no more than 70 grs of 3f...Too much kick is not fun in a flintlock 70 grs will kill as quick as 90 grs and less smoke /kick..

I AM COMING FOR YA NED PEPPER..

Last edited by ROOSTER COGBURN; 01-15-2018 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page