Cold sunset and another season done. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Cold sunset and another season done.

Finished out the last day of flintlock season at one of my favorite stands. Kind of cold but I wanted to stick it out till the last minutes. Its been a good season, I didn't get a buck this year, never saw any horns at all, but I did see quite a few deer and I have venison in the freezer and I enjoyed every minute out with my flintlock. I've got big plans for next year already. Time to clean up the gear, wash the hunting cloths and do some ice fishing. That's what's so great about this way of life, theres always something to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 07:21 PM

You got that right! Itís a way of life.
Loving it!!
Didnít make any smoke today, but it was great hunting in the powder.
blackpowder and Buckskin Dave like this.

"Enjoy the solitude of the great outdoors, where you are alone but never lonely"--William Conrad
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 07:50 PM

Was a great last day. I did not get a buck this year either but i do have venison in the freezer. I did see 3 really big buck and a doe bedded together but i could not get a shot on them as they weaved in and out of the brush today. I did miss a doe a little later just pulled it a little but it was a good day to be out. Now onto small game and ice fishing. Fall and Winter is my favorite time of year. I dread summer lol not a fan of hot and humid weather.
OAWC and Buckskin Dave like this.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 08:46 PM
The Man

I was able to hunt this evening after missing 2 weeks due to the flu. I got in my enclosed stand at 2 pm and my buddy heater would not light. After a little while decided to to tinker with it. Started pulling out crap where a mouse got in. Then he jumped out and other one jumped out of it. Started picking more and seen one was still in it. I was able to get him out and I was nice and left them out the door in stand. I don't know what they messed up inside but it still wont light. Those dang critters made my evening unpleasant since I didn't have that many clothes on knowing I would have heat. Seen a flash of a tail before dark but nothing else. Enjoyed the season and hoping the next 9 months pass quick.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 09:12 PM

Season over for me. Wanted to go out today, but I caught that stomach virus that's going around, so instead I cleaned the flintlock and put her away for the season. Seems like the only time I had to hunt flintlock it was brutally cold haha.

I had a very disappointing season, the only animal I killed this year was 1 pheasant. Still may get out for rabbits, but there is always next year.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 09:38 PM
Part of the Community

season over

saw 52 doe and 9 bucks this season..Only 4 doe and 2 legal bucks I saw in woods rest privateland going to woods to hunt...We never kill doe here in wmu2g and only hunt bucks ..

muzz is in gun cabinet ...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:59 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSTER COGBURN View Post
saw 52 doe and 9 bucks this season..Only 4 doe and 2 legal bucks I saw in woods rest privateland going to woods to hunt...We never kill doe here in wmu2g and only hunt bucks ..

muzz is in gun cabinet ...
Why do you always say the same thing in your posts?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 03:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

My season actually ended when rifle season ended. I just couldn't bring myself to hunt in the frigid cold to try and fill my buck tag... So instead I hooked up a buddy of mine with a few of my better late season spots - first spot he misses with the smokepole on a large doe. Second spot his smokepole wouldn't fire. the final spot, he misses a large doe - reloads and soon after he misses a nice buck! I think my next location I will send him too will be the rifle range!!!! LOL
As for myself, we began the season with 9 tags in our house - and ended the season with 5 tags left. So i'm completely happy with the full freezer..... And already looking forward to next year!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 06:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
Why do you always say the same thing in your posts?

For the same reason you see WAUGH! a lot....

The First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America.

LOL.

ďI prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,Ē
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 09:42 AM
Banned

I shot a doe with my flintlock during rifle season. We hunt special regs hence why I used the flinter. I prefer to use it exclusively these days anyway. I've been sidelined with a health issue that's kept me out of the woods all flintlock season. A bummer but we still have two more weeks of the extended season to go here in 5C. I go in for an outpatient procedure on Tuesday, and if all goes well I may be able to get out forthe last two weekends this year. I'm hopeful anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page