Treestand at ground level - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Treestand at ground level

Disclaimer: I'm NOT crazy.

So I was standing next to a tree tonight waiting for some deer to show up and I got to thinking wouldn't it be nice to have a tree stand at ground level? Here's my reasoning: Every time I would shift my feet the smallest amount would seem to make a lot of noise. I would've had an awful hard time quietly shifting to one side or another if a deer had come in from less than opportune direction. With a tree stand shifting feet would be silent. Also I was hunting on a small hillside. Not crazy steep but steep enough to have constant weight on the front of my feet making things rather uncomfortable. And then finally it sure would be nice to have a seat after standing for several hours. The biggest downside I can see is that ones profile would stick out more so mainly when sitting.

So if one were to actually try this, I would think a ultralight millenium stand would be the ticket. Only an additional 8-12lbs to carry and uses a bracket to hang.

Crazy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 11:33 PM

Why not just carry a light weight climber and climb the tree?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter8319 View Post
Why not just carry a light weight climber and climb the tree?
Because it's a hassle. I do have a LW sit n climb and it's more of a chore to use especially late season when I'm bundled up. Also my PAC boots don't fit real well when climbing with it. It also takes more time and louder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 02:52 AM

I may be wrong but i think that Hunter8319 is referring to is to use the climber to set it up close to the ground as you wish to sit. You would have a seat and a platform to stand on off of the frozen leaves and such .

WILLY P
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 05:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

Or just use a chain-on stand.... I myself just use a tree-seat and when I put it on the tree, I then use my feet to clear out a nice area around it so as to not make a lot of noise when the time comes. I don't bother with a climber anymore since in my 30 years of hunting, I've only ever killed 2 deer from a treestand - while I've taken ALOT from the ground ( mainly just sitting on a bucket next to trees or on field edges ).... Believe it or not, your "Profile" really doesn't matter as much as "Movement" does ( I'm a 400 pound guy - so I have a ---- big profile too ).... This season alone; I had over 50 deer within 25 yards of me while I was just sitting on a bucket in the brush ( some within 10 yards ), and none knew I was there! The doe I harvested on my 2nd sit of archery was at 23 yards...... So yea, a treestand at ground level isn't always a bad idea. But my question is; Why not just use a groundblind then? Atleast then you'd have a Wind - Movement blocker to help ya out.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 08:20 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Or just clear the ground so there is nothing to make noise. Putting a treestand at ground level will make you stand out like a sore thumb.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 08:35 AM

If you think it will work, screw what the internet experts say, give it a try, and report back. A lot of times in rifle I like to be only 6 or 8 feet off the ground, the visibility is often better there than way up higher. A light hangon and only 1 or 2 sticks can get you high enough in rifle. Even bowhunting a lot of my setups end up being 8-10 feet just to get in the right tree, and I have no problems with deer seeing me.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 08:58 AM
The Man

Makes perfect sense to me. Just take the top 1/3 of a ladder stand or maybe just the seat of a climber. The more comfortable you are the less you will fidget around, the quieter you will be, and the longer you will stay. Maybe just have a tree or some logs in front of you to break up your outline. I think just taking one section of a ladder stand would work well. Sometimes just elevating a few feet gives you a lot better visibility. I am sure we have all got on top of a large rock or log at one point or another to get a better view of the surroundings.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 09:02 AM
The Man

Use a ladder stand with just one section.I used one once that only had one section and wasn,t even 6 ft.off the ground
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 11:33 AM
The Man

I've considered it several times...............mostly for the reason the OP listed about providing a level place to stand on a slope.

Never did it yet. But I can't see any reason not to. Probably best to hang the stand ahead of time so the critters get used to it.

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page