Cleaning traditional flintlocks - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Cleaning traditional flintlocks

What method is best for cleaning a traditional flintlock Hot water, boiling water, or chemicals? What is best used for protecting the inside of the barrel through the long off season?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 02:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I clean mine with just hot water from the tap as hot as it will get with a threaded plug in the touch hole with a hose on it in the bucket of hot water and a patch on my cleaning jag and start plunging away with the ram rod....once clean water comes out of gun it should be clean, then take gun after bout 5/10 seconds after to allow the hot water to evaporate I then hit the bore with a gun oil till next time I use it....when I go to use it I just dry swab it till the patches come out clean of oil and load and go....

exocet w/STS, ground pounder
boo string and trigger
2117 w/ blazer vanes and brass inserts
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 03:10 PM
The Man

Pretty much the same. Hot water with dishwashing soap with jag and cleaning patch to clean; plain hot water with patch to rinse, then run patches to dry, and finally a VERY lightly oiled patch to keep bore clean till the next time. Run a couple dry patches to clean the oil out and then load.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 03:15 PM
Sage

Same as above.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 03:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Same as Bob.

Only difference is at end of season I'll run a brass brush down the barrel, rinse it out good and put on a coating of bore butter.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 03:56 PM
The Man

Pump warm soapy water.
Pump warm rinse water.
Pumping will swirl water in that breech area.
Barrel on a couple blocks of wood angled down toward muzzle with hair drier pointed down muzzle about 4 inches away for 10 minutes or so.
swab patch with Balistol ONLY at end of season.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 05:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I gave up on using hot water years ago, but other than that, I basically follow the procedures outlined above using cold, soapy water. When I get clean patches, I'll run a couple of patches with Ballistol, followed by a couple of dry patches, and then a patch with Barricade for rust protection.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 06:37 PM

Blackpowder on here gave me a fool-proof way to clean the muzzy without any water. I don't want to pass along his method without his say so. If he want's to pass it along I'll let him. Thanks you SOOO much BP.

For protection I just use Wonderlube. Never had a problem with corrosion. Makes the next season easier. No cleaning needed.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 08:21 PM
Banned

I use boiling water with a small amount of Murphy's oil soap added. Gets the bore spotless. I have one of hose and clamp like affairs that is attached over the touch hole on my guns with pinned barrels. I've found the best way to do this is with the gun turned upside down, with the muzzle end of the gun slightly lower than the butt. This way all the water will flow away from the breech, and out the muzzle. With the gun upside down, no water seeps into the stock and any leakage at the touch hole just drips onto the table and not under the barrel. About a dozen or so strokes with the cleaning rod and the gun is spotless. I then rinse with plain hot water. After cleaning I dry with patches and an old hair dryer, then I oil the bore with Break Free before storing away.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 01-05-2018 at 08:24 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 04:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

thanks TJ. its nothing magical, but it has worked for me for years. take the lock off and spray down with windex and set aside. plug touch hole with a tooth pick, stand gun up and spray about 8-10 times down the barrel( that's for the.62, about half that for the smaller ones.) put my finger over the end and slosh it back forth then dump. I lay the gun in a gun rack/stand with the barrel lower and run 2-3 windex soaked patches through, which usually are coming out clean by then. I have air in my gun room, so I blow air in the barrel and hold a paper towel over the vent to keep any excess from blowing all over. at that point I run a rem oil soaked patch down the barrel and follow that up with a dry one to get out any excess. the lock I then spray again and scrub with an old tooth brush then blow dry with the air hose. I then spray the entire lock liberally with rem oil and either blow off excess or wipe off with a rag. spray the entire barrel length with rem oil, wipe off excess and put the lock back on and its ready to go. it really doesn't take long at all and its worked for me for a long time. one note: that is windex brand in its original formula. others have used windshield washer fluid with good results.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page