January 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

January 3

Brrrrr. I stayed home this morning. Anyone brave these temperatures? I'll likely head out around lunch or early afternoon. Next week temps are looking to moderate some too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:01 AM
The Man

I hope to get out with work and all.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:43 AM

Heading out shortly. Supposed to warm to around 20 and it's sunny. Between that and the moon, I Have a hunch they'll be moving hard.

Can't decide whether to sit or jump on some buck tracks and try to get him killed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Sage

It was 4 below a while ago and now it is only 10 degrees, no hunting in this cold for me, I might consider it if I didn't have one in the freezer.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Heading out now. The sun is deceptively warm
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 06:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Well, it was 6 when I left the truck this morning. Thought with the heat wave coming in today, the deer would be moving. I still hunted some new territory in the morning without seeing anything, which is pretty much what I expected.. Headed to my treestand with high hopes around 2, sat till dark.... nothin, nadda, not even a squirrel. Plenty of tracks around my stand but they didn't want to come out and play.

Supposed to be very windy tomorrow, so I think I'll skip the day and do manly things, like laundry, going to the grocery store, cooking, stuff like that .....

I kill because I'm hunting, but killing is not the reason I go hunting.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 07:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quick hunt after work, deer were out and about, seen 10 of which 7 of them passed within 40 yards. Still waiting for a buck at this point but no show this evening. Took a few pics with the cell phone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180103_171540_1515026469739.jpg (1.35 MB, 58 views)
outofstater and Byron like this.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Dropped the hammer tonight on a nice doe. Not much of a story but I'll post details later.

Beautiful day afield. I headed out after lunch and was planning on basically using today as recon to see how and where the deer were moving since the snow wasn't as squeaky today. I got to my spot about 1:45 and the first field had 4 out in already. 3 were bedded down and one was grazing. They were probably 300 yds out and I decided not to try to stalk them. So I moved on slowly working my way in a circle. About a 1/4 of the way through my circuit, a small buck was chasing a young down doe down the hill right at me stopping at 10 yds. The small doe got a pass and obviously the buck did as well since not legal. I carry on to about half way through when I peek over a hill into a field and there is 3 doe in it, the closest being 40 yds. No clue how they didn't hear me as I wasnt exactly trying to be real quiet. I needed to move up about 10 yds to get a clear shot through brush which took probably a half hour. I get in position for a shot at the biggest doe when all of a sudden 3 doe come running over to meet them. I switch to one of these three as they are closer and pull the trigger. Down she goes. You can see in the picture the first shot hit her in the shoulder. It was as if I hit her in the spine as I had to put another in her. Anyone else ever hit a deer in the shoulder with a roundball?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2026_1515028973379.jpg (1,002.8 KB, 35 views)
pahoytman and Byron like this.

Last edited by 007hunter; 01-03-2018 at 08:57 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on the nice doe. High shoulder shots with the flinter have had same result as yours....down right there. Its actually become my go to shot with the flinter. I have had a few that required a follow up shot also.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:31 PM

Nice day in the woods. The deer were bedded on the sunny side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page