Disappointing day in the cold - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By good ole boy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Disappointing day in the cold

Didn't make it to the woods until about 8:30 this morning. Tried to take a new route into the area I wanted to hunt. Quickly realized that it wasn't the best idea because I had to come through some nasty stuff. Ended up pushing some deer off their beds and right to someone who I believe was road hunting. The guy who shot may have taken the shot from his truck as he was parked along the gameland road. I couldn't tell for sure but it looked like he may have gotten out of his truck after the shot was taken. In any case, he missed and a doe came my way. I got on her and took the shot. The rifle fired beautifully but it looked like I pulled a bit and caught her in the front shoulder/leg since she limped off. I tried to regain my wits as I reloaded and gave her a bit before going to take a look. I didn't see any blood for about 30 yards but I did see a few hairs along her exit path. Eventually I did see the slightest specks of blood and a little stain where she bedded down for a short time. Unfortunately, the blood and hair trail eventually stopped. There were so many fresh tracks in the snow that I couldn't figure out which tracks belonged to the deer I hit at some point. After 3 hours of multiple backtracks and then crisscrossing the area to try to pick up another speck of blood or hair, I had to call it a day. I was very disappointed that I hit a deer that I couldn't recover, but I know that is an unfortunate part of things sometimes. In any case, it was a cold and beautiful morning in Penns Woods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 10:23 AM
The Man

That,s to bad but don,t give up.I would hunt the area religiously to try to come across her.Dependin on how much damage you done she,ll probably not travel to far from bedding to feeding.Hopefully you can get an ambush.If I only had one tag I would hunt her soley till the end of the season.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page