Sunrise from The Flintlock Tree at 10 below.......... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Sunrise from The Flintlock Tree at 10 below..........

Had 5 guys lined up for a couple weeks, now, to come out for a New Year's Day flintlock hunt. Systematically, over the last couple days, they all bailed on me "for one reason or another".............. LOL !!!

Sooooo..........rather than walking guys around the woods, putting them in likely places, for an hour in the dark this morning, I got to go hunt with my favorite person.............. ME !!!

On the ride in, my truck ratted out why the other 5 had cancelled on me.............

I decided to head back up on the high point, to The Flintlock Tree, again, as I didn't figure I had been in there long enough Saturday to disturb much. But, on the way up, I bounced at least one deer out. I think the bright light of the moon must have had them heading in earlier today.

Got to my spot and took my usual place on the little stool. The sounds of trees popping in the cold.............some of them sounding pretty big.........were coming from every direction. Probably heard 15-20 big pops over the course of 2 1/2 hours.

The sunrise beaming through the hoarfrost in the tree limbs painted a neat picture.

About the expected time, a small buck came following a doe across the deep ravine to my right. They got in behind some bigger trees that were lined up just so as to block out about a 10 yard wide section of hillside across the ravine. I saw the doe start down into the steep-sided draw before she got behind the trees.

As I was trying to see where she'd come out, and figure out where the little buck was behind her, I caught movement straight out into the flat in front of me. Binos showed a mature doe and a fawn at 70-ish yards. She was quartered somewhat toward me. But with the gun on the stick, I could see all I needed to see. Only thing was.............she was standing behind a downed pine log that had a forearm diameter limb sticking straight up the line between her shoulder and the base of her neck. I knew I could slide a conical right into the pumphouse............save for what I figured to be a 5% chance of error. She moved out of the opening then back in again. The limb blocking her again in that 5% area. I decided that, not having a NEED for another deer.........she would be donated to a friend ........... I would pass the shot opportunities. Her and the fawn wandered off.

I sat for another hour and a half, watching the crows work on the food pile my Saturday hunt left for them. Never saw another deer.
whil e kioti, Pahack and Larry L. like this.

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 02:57 PM

Great pic of the sunrise. Those TPM on your dash can be a pain in the butt.

9-11-01 SOME GAVE SOMETHING. 343 GAVE ALL F.D.N.Y.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 03:05 PM
The Man

Good deal Strut on toughing it out. -10 , where are you at? Is that one light a low tire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Haha !!!! I knew it wouldn't take long for a comment on the TPM light.........

I have my winter tires on their own rims. But I own a tire gauge. Couldn't see spending the 60 bucks per tire, or whatever it is, just to not have to look at a little light on my dash......

I'm in 2D near the Indiana/Armstrong county border

demokraten saugen
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I guess, according to my brother, it actually dropped to 14 below around 7:30-8:00 AM

Glad I got in the woods while it was still warm........ Lol !!

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 04:30 PM

Nice pic and good story. It was -10 at my area this morning also.

A squakin' turkey don't live long
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 05:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

Excellent pic of the sunrise.

"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Banned

Wow, You're a brave man. I wouldn't have been able to sit long at 10 above, much less -10. I draw he line when its bitter cold. Hunting is a hobby for me, not a torture test. Maybe back when I was younger, but not anymore.

BTW - The tire pressure light. Ignore it, probably a faulty sensor. I have one in my truck that malfunctioned after I used some fix-a flat one time. Now the monitor light is constantly on. A little square of black electrician's tape over the light and its a non issue now
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 07:40 PM
Regular Visitor

Strut10,
Beautiful sunrise picture. The cold bothers me too much to hunt when it's near zero or below. I know the sound of trees popping and snapping when the sun hits them from a hunt 30+ years ago at our cabin when it was -12 degrees during doe season. I've never heard that sound before or since, and I'm not sure I want to. Keep the pictures and stories coming.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
Wow, You're a brave man. I wouldn't have been able to sit long at 10 above, much less -10. I draw he line when its bitter cold. Hunting is a hobby for me, not a torture test. Maybe back when I was younger, but not anymore.
Naw..........not brave..............and I was younger, years ago........... I've just never been too awfully bothered by the cold til it gets REALLY cold.

Quote:
BTW - The tire pressure light. Ignore it, probably a faulty sensor. I have one in my truck that malfunctioned after I used some fix-a flat one time. Now the monitor light is constantly on. A little square of black electrician's tape over the light and its a non issue now
Not a FAULTY sensor................... NO sensor. I didn't spend the $250-300 to put the sensors in my winter wheels. I spent $15 on a decent tire pressure gauge.
outofstater likes this.

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page