Anyone gearing up for their next build, and if so... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Anyone gearing up for their next build, and if so...

what are you building?

I've started gathering parts for my next build. I am planning on a .32 caliber squirrel rifle. I decided on a Rice straight octagon barrel in 13/16ths width. Got a nice Xmas bonus from work and that went to the barrel. I'm going to do this gun up in brass so ordered the thimbles, and nose cap. Also placed an order for a Davis No.4 double set trigger (another gift card helped buy that one). Still need to buy the butt plate, trigger guard, stock, lock, and various other small odds and ends. I have some leftover bolts and screws from my last build so that will help offset costs. I have a spare touch hole liner so no need buying that. I will make the side plate and toe plate myself, same as I did on my last build. No need spending money on that kinda stuff. Those two items are easy to make from sheet steel or in this case brass that I can buy from Lowes. Planning on a Left handed Verner style stock from Pecatonica river, and am going to buy the Siler lock kit from TOTW as soon as I get some more dough. The lock kit will save me about $50, and assembling a lock doesn't look difficult. A few holes to drill and tap, then assemble and tune.

Being laid up at home with a medical issue, it helps pass the time looking on the net for gun parts.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 01-01-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 10:49 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have 2 this winter. another Christians Springs/Edward Marshall rifle in .54 cal. grade 5 maple stock, steel hardware. this will be the "sister" rifle to my .62, but it will have some carving ect. on it. the other is a Early Lancaster in .32 cal., grade 5 maple stock and steel hardware. this I would like to really get into a lot more carving on and kinda take it over the top. all the parts for both are here and ready to get started on after deer season is over.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:09 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I have a pre-carved (cut on a duplicator) Lehigh with a 54-cal swamped Green Mtn barrel inlet and the ramrod hole drilled.

Gonna connect with someone in Feb at Lewisburg to get some pointers on it, and that'll be my project. I'd like to have it ready for the season in December, but I'm not going to rush it. I figure my first will take a long time, and that's ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 04:08 AM

I have 4 builds "in the closet". Literally...they are IN my closet. Lol.

I have a 38" Colerain turkey barrel in a Beck precarve done by Mark Wheland. Thats first on the list and hopefully will get it built between the end of the season and turkey season.

I have a 10" 54cal smooth bore barrel made by Bobby Hoyt going into a pistol blank. I've chosen to inlet the barrel myself. I have the barrel about half way in. Hopefully I don't screw it up. The piece of wood is very high grade maple. I have a Stand Hollenbaugh pistol lock for it.

I have a 44" 58cal barrel made by Bobby Hoyt inlet into a plank. It's probably going to be an early Lancaster with a Chamber's Dale Johnson lock.

Lastly, I have a 38" A weight 36cal Rice barrel inlet in a plank. Probably going to be a Lehigh. Maybe a schimmel. Maybe a full Lehigh. Probably use a Chamber's small siler on it.

I've been scooping up stuff as I see it available at a good price. 4 builds aughta take me some time...and my "bases are covered" with those 4 builds. Lol.
blackpowder likes this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 12:33 PM

I have the stock and barrel for a 16ga fowler sitting in the basement. One of these day's I'll get motivated to start on it instead of staring at the snow piling up.

Plan on picking up some "stuff" at Lewisburg. I always thought a longrifle with a cherry stock would look nice. Hoping Dunlap might have some cherry to look at, even if to see how they grade it.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 05:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

hopefully, we will see some of you folks giving us pics and updates as your builds progress. I know we all would b interested in all the projects.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 07:43 PM

Still have a .45 cal Bedford 2/3 done on my work bench. Will finish it up within next few months. Barrel, stock, and most parts for a W. PA inspired .36 cal build on deck waiting to go next. I also have a .54 cal swamped barrel I picked up at The Dixon Gun Builders Fair waiting for stock and parts for a Haines to be built
blackpowder likes this.

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:24 PM
New Arrival

i have 2 that have been in progress off & on over the last few years, as time has allowed- a walnut stocked fusil de chasse & a cherry stocked swamped barrel jaeger, both in .62 cal. Some day Iíll finish them...!!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot062 View Post
i have 2 that have been in progress off & on over the last few years, as time has allowed- a walnut stocked fusil de chasse & a cherry stocked swamped barrel jaeger, both in .62 cal. Some day Iíll finish them...!!
I've wanted to attempt one last build for myself, and that would be a .58 or .62 cal., left-handed jaeger. That piece would be quite a challenge for me since I'd need to start with a stock blank to have the width needed at the butt for a correct butt plate, and the space on the right side for the curved cheek piece. And, then there would be the inletting of the barrel channel for a 31" swamped barrel and the ramrod underneath.

I hesitate knowing that I could end up with an expensive pile of fire wood and a 31" pistol barrel, and a lot of pretty parts!

I'll have more time to hesitate since there is presently a right-handed .50 cal. rifle about half way finished on the building stand waiting to be finished.

And, since my garage isn't heated, working with gloves and many, many layers doesn't facilitate "finishing up" tasks.

Best of luck with all your projects.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 11:44 PM

Berks, you have lots of options.

Both my 58 and 36cal planks I sent out with the barrels to be inlet and ramrod groove cut and channel drilled.

Don't know if anyone does precarve that would work. Knob Mountain might. They have several left-hand options.

Finding planks wide enough isn't difficult. My 58 plank is well over 2". Probably closer to 3".

When I started I didn't realize what options were available. And if you hunt around you can find some nice deals..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page