A short, but perfect morning on the hill... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
The Man

A short, but perfect morning on the hill...

There's a certain, large wild cherry tree on the tip of a high point on my ridgetop that was OBVIOUSLY placed there by the Lord for my enjoyment in flintlock season.

Right where the hillside rolls over the top of the point stands, what has become known as The Flintlock Tree. The hill rolls off 180 degrees beside and behind. A gorgeous flat reaches out toward distant feeding areas to the front.

Looking out front:

I climbed the hill this morning with my rifle, shooting stick and trusty 3-legged, folding stool in tow. I arrived at the cherry tree about official, legal shooting light and sat down on the stool........rifle across my lap. I laid a small rag across the lock to keep the falling snow off. About 7:30 I decided it was actually daylight enough to make an ethical shot. So I primed the pan and started to scan.

Not 15 minutes later, a mature doe and fawn came walking an old woods road in front of me from my right to my left. They were about 70 yards when I spotted them. I glassed the big doe just to make sure.......... They walked the road down into a deep roll. Just before they disappeared, I pulled the hammer from half on back to full. At 60 yards, the slight click in the quiet morning air locked that doe up, radar my way RIGHT NOW. But she could neither see nor smell me so they walked down into the roll out of sight. I moved my gun on the stick around to the left of straight ahead.....right where they would come up out of the roll.

The big doe came into sight, still walking on the road but at a pretty brisk pace. I moved the gun slightly more left to an opening just as she came into it. At 50 yards, I gave a "maaah !!" and she froze........looking right at me. I laid my finger on the front trigger and sent a PA Conical her way. Both deer bolted straight away from me. But I could see the old gal was tail down and chugging hard. Just as she ALMOST got out of sight she crashed.

The tag reads 7:48 AM. The Flintlock Tree, once again, provides...........

Scene of the hit:

The blood trail:

The droplets were EVERYWHERE. But they fell straight down into the fluffy, fresh snow making them harder to see. She was spraying at least a 30" wide trail !!

The doe just as she fell......entrance wound up:

Glamour shot of my trusty, old rifle:

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 06:58 PM
The Man

Way to go.Luv the story and pics.I wanna come up and get some of your cherries off your tree and save em for seed and plant some of them on my place.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 06:59 PM
The Man

I luv to find a tuff of hair like that at the shot site.You know then you put a big smackdown on em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy View Post
I wanna come up and get some of your cherries off your tree and save em for seed and plant some of them on my place.
Deal !!! So long as you take some of the poison ivy that grows up the back side of the tree, too !!!
good ole boy likes this.

demokraten saugen
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy View Post
I luv to find a tuff of hair like that at the shot site.You know then you put a big smackdown on em.
This is probably about the 7th deer I've run a PA Conical through and I am TOTALLY in awe of that projectile....................both accuracy and terminal performance.

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 07:03 PM
Part of the Community

Great story! Nice deer! Congratulations! Is that flintlock a CVA mountain rifle?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 07:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

Congrats!!! I need to get me a "flintlock tree"
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessajon View Post
Great story! Nice deer! Congratulations! Is that flintlock a CVA mountain rifle?
Thanks for the kind words.

It is.

demokraten saugen
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 07:23 PM

Looks like a perfect day...Congrats
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 07:24 PM
The Man

Good deal! Congrats!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page