2 hang fires and a miss tonight - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
The Man

2 hang fires and a miss tonight

I asked for help on my other thread and received it but hoping tonight was not part of that. I was sitting in my box blind this evening and around 5 pm had one come in 25 yards to my left. I was able to slide window open easy to get the gun out. Took aim and click with this doe broad side. Pull gun back in re load pan and aim one more time with deer standing still, CLICK !!! Dang cant believe this crap! One more time re do pan aim and KK Boom , I flinched and missed. Deer took a couple of steps and stopped. I started the process of speed loader , powder then bullet. Tried to start the bullet and dropped the ball starter on floor. Deer still stands there! Finally get it in and reach for pan primer tool and don't see the deer. Well, she deserved to live and ill try tomorrow night. It was adventures though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 11:14 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater View Post
I asked for help on my other thread and received it but hoping tonight was not part of that. I was sitting in my box blind this evening and around 5 pm had one come in 25 yards to my left. I was able to slide window open easy to get the gun out. Took aim and click with this doe broad side. Pull gun back in re load pan and aim one more time with deer standing still, CLICK !!! Dang cant believe this crap! One more time re do pan aim and KK Boom , I flinched and missed. Deer took a couple of steps and stopped. I started the process of speed loader , powder then bullet. Tried to start the bullet and dropped the ball starter on floor. Deer still stands there! Finally get it in and reach for pan primer tool and don't see the deer. Well, she deserved to live and ill try tomorrow night. It was adventures though!
Take your gun into bathroom..make sure its empty.turm lights off and sit on pot ..pull hammer back and shoot..you should see lots of sparks if you do its your flash hole is not open ..

if no sparks or very few you need hardened frizzen and english flints ...

Rooster has spoken!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I thank you!
ROOSTER COGBURN likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 05:41 AM

I load my rifle the same EVERY time. before the shot its ...powder,patch,ball, short starter, ramrod. Wipe frizzen and pan with a rag and push a vent hole pick into the touch hole to make sure it's clear. prime man with 3 to 4 pushes with the primer using 4f. Close frizzen, set trigger. Aim and squeeze. Hold, Hold watch bullet hit the target . I run a spit patch then 2 or 3 dry patches, You can skip the cleaning after the shot but this is what I do, the same barrel every shot. When not shooting , I practice "shooting" my switch plate screws. get used to the hammer falling and watching the screw after the"shot". Holding steady after flash in the pans is tough and does get better with practice. These guns aren't like other rifles that can be pulled out of the safe and shot. Practice and aim small... miss small
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 05:54 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSTER COGBURN View Post
Take your gun into bathroom..make sure its empty.turm lights off and sit on pot ..pull hammer back and shoot..you should see lots of sparks if you do its your flash hole is not open ..

if no sparks or very few you need hardened frizzen and english flints ...

Rooster has spoken!

If gun goes off, you will be glad you were sitting on the pot!!!!!!!!

“I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,”
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 06:08 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Takemrarely I spit my coffee out a little when I read that.
Takemrarely likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 07:00 AM

I've wondered a while about deer and their ability to realize when they're about to be in danger.

I've had it happen on a few occasions, and have friends and family that it's happened to as well. Shoot at a deer and miss it. Deer just stands there looking at the cloud of smoke. Drop the fresh powder charge and at some point between ramming the ball home and putting primer powder in the pan the deer finally says nope I'm outta here. I actually had one once wait until I was just priming the pan. How long does it take to flip the frizzen closed and cock?

Oh well, there's always next time.
outofstater likes this.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 07:30 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemrarely View Post
That was good! LOL!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 10:23 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page