Advise on Flintlock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Advise on Flintlock

I really got serious at this last 2 years and have a question. I have a 50 cal. traditions Pa. pellet. I'm using 100 grains of goex black powder and a sabot with bullet, etc. For the most part of this season I'm only hunting evenings making my 55 minute trip and I mainly hunt from a certain box stand on my property. Instead of bringing rifle home everyday I just flip out the powder pan and sit gun in cabin for the next day hunt. I have my electric heat on even though I'm not there around 60 degree until I close down after season. Is this okay on leaving gun loaded like this powder wise? I just think its a waste to shoot it off every evening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 08:16 PM

I do not have a for sure answer, but if you have the gun in the cold and bring it in the 60 degree cabin you could possibly get condensation inside the gun and the powder could asorb it. You may be better leaving it in the cold outside in the truck or unheated shed. Another thing would be a foam lined gun case, by being inside a foam lined gun case the tempeture change, would be slower and result in less condensation, but may still not stop it.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 08:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

I basically do similar. When I get home I leave it in my attached garage and then eventually into my basement. Which is usually around 55 degrees when it's this cold out. I'm not about to leave it outside or in my car. I'll take my chance with the condensation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 08:34 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

My rifle is charged and in my truck in the garage, where tonight it'll probably be in the 30's to low 40's, and I was out tonight in 15 degrees hunting.

I've brought it in after hunting in the cold to no ill effect. I put a wad of TP or kleenex in the pan with the frizzen down on it as a way to catch some moisture there if it forms. If it's really cold (the barrel), I'll run my range rod down with a patch to sit right on the ball. That provides some barrier to the ball/charge from the bore, but the patch around the ball is a gas seal, so it should also seal against condensate if it forms. But when I withdraw the range rod, the patch will wipe out whatever formed in the bore. A toothpick in the vent would help, too, but i've never needed it.

I loaded my long rifle for the last day of regular rifle season when it was about 20-25 degrees in the morning, got into the low 30's before I came home. I just left the frizzen shut and put it up on the wall hooks where it lives.

A couple weeks later, I carted it off to the range, primed it, and shot it offhand at 50 yards. It went off like it was just loaded and the shot landed about 2" to the right of POA (wasn't my shiniest shot, but the gun went off fine).
blackpowder likes this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks guys! Dang it was cold this evening. I was really ticked after first 10 minutes in stand my propane tank went empty and had to tough it out.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I forgot to add I have been leaving my powder horn, and 2 speed loaders inside my stand. Ill probably hunt same stand for most of season. Had good rifle season results and now plenty fresh tracks in the snow.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 04:04 PM

Some people worry about bringing them in and out with temp changes, I've never had any problems. I loaded mine opening day of rifle and left that charge in it. Taking it hunting, riding in the cab of the truck and then hanging in the house since. I took it out for a walk Wed and decided I should shoot it since the charge had been in there for about a month. Didn't have anything to shoot at, but the gun went right off. Heck the one year(way back when) I realized that I had a charge in the gun in July. That charge sat there for 6 months, still went off fine.

Now, if I go out and there is any sort of moisture outside I empty the gun when I'm done hunting. I've had snow mess up the charge to the point that I had issues getting the gun to go off. I'm talking like 5+ pan charges before getting it to fire.
tdd likes this.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 06:59 PM
The Man

If the powder is not exposed to the air where it can draw moisture,I have no problems either.Plug the touch hole where it could get some air/moisture.This is not any different than bringing a rifle or shotshell in after the cold.
Rain and snow gets cleaning inside and out.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 08:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

You won't have anything to worry about. Good to go!

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page