The Flintlock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

The Flintlock

Has to be my favorite way of hunting deer. I know it's not all about success but killing one with the smokepole really is the best. I'm looking forward to these next couple days and while I had a goal to kill a buck with my bow I'm not disappointed to have a buck tag in my pocket still who knows what can happen. I love the tradition in PA where we have a flintlock season hope they never let inlines after Christmas statewide. Only being 20 I'm not sure how many people my age will say "going after one with a flintlock now that's hunting". Here's to the flintlock. Good luck fellas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 07:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 10:21 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhofmeister View Post
Has to be my favorite way of hunting deer. I know it's not all about success but killing one with the smokepole really is the best. I'm looking forward to these next couple days and while I had a goal to kill a buck with my bow I'm not disappointed to have a buck tag in my pocket still who knows what can happen. I love the tradition in PA where we have a flintlock season hope they never let inlines after Christmas statewide. Only being 20 I'm not sure how many people my age will say "going after one with a flintlock now that's hunting". Here's to the flintlock. Good luck fellas.

I am 64 yrs young started hunting with muzz in 1962 ..Still use it HAWKINS 50 CAL with rb ...We only hunt Bucks no doe .....My only problem now is cold and seeing my open sights as your eyes age ...This was very hard year with bow I used my recurve fred bear kodiack bow until last year just got too hard to pull it and I have 46 Bucks with bow/muzz over those years ALL on highly pressured stateland ..

Good luck hunting and fun is not kill its getting out and memories..
stinkbait and blackpowder like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 08:24 AM
Frequent Contributor

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 11:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhofmeister View Post
Good for you! Being 54 years older than you, I can readily state that it is most refreshing to find a young hunter enjoying this unique aspect of Pennsylvania deer hunting. The flintlock is indeed special, and I would hazard a guess that you will experience the "need" to add more and more flintlocks to your collection.

You'll "need" one for squirrel, etc. You'll "need" a smoothbore fowler for turkey, etc. You'll be drawn to jaegers, trade guns, shimmels, and flintlock handguns. And, finally, you'll need to dress the part, add powder horns, possibles bags, and loading blocks for each of these new pieces!

Your flintlock adventure has just begun!
blackpowder and nessajon like this.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 11:28 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Berks, you'd have been happy to see me and the looks I got on the last day of rifle season when some hunters came by me and saw my long rifle in my hands! You'd have thought they just saw aliens, Sasquatch, and the Easter Bunny all having a game of cards....lol.

I guess I do bear a passing resemblance to 'squatch, though....
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 12:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
Berks, you'd have been happy to see me and the looks I got on the last day of rifle season when some hunters came by me and saw my long rifle in my hands! You'd have thought they just saw aliens, Sasquatch, and the Easter Bunny all having a game of cards....lol.

I guess I do bear a passing resemblance to 'squatch, though....
tdd, At times it makes you wonder if perhaps somewhere over the years we may have missed a psychiatrist appointment or two with the looks we get!

Or, hopefully it is the other way around.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 12:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would not compare myself to squatch as he shot off the tip of one of his fingers doing one of his hunting shows, ha,ha. eastbank
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 02:11 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I more resemble the “messin’ with sasquatch” rendition.... lol
eastbank likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 02:49 PM

Headed to tomorrow with the flinter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page