12/26/17 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

12/26/17

Who got out? Who's going out? How'd you do?

Going to be a busy season for me, ice fishing almost in full swing , short bass still in the NJ surf and flinter season.

Will head out around 1 pm today, do some slow walking and spend the last two hours in a tree if the wind dies just a bit more ...

I kill because I'm hunting, but killing is not the reason I go hunting.

Last edited by Byron; 12-26-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 11:17 AM

Ice on the west side is not good yet so I b out in the evening to hunt
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

Just got back in. When I left this morning it was 11 degrees! I feel like I finally have a good handle on my cold weather clothing because I was hardly cold. I saw 6 total. 5 doe and 1 unidentified. 3 came through 120 yds out about 745. To far and thick for me. On the way out spotted 2 bedded on the hillside 70 yds up. Didn't feel comfortable with the shot so they got a pass and I just watched them for a few minutes. Then bumped one just before the car. No evening hunt for me as I got family obligations. Very enjoyable morning out. Did hear one shot but couldn't tell if it was flinter or shotgun.

I'll give it a try again tomorrow.
Byron likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 12:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

Headed out to Cross Creek this morning. Only vehicle in the lot. Ground was way too crunchy. No luck but it was sure pretty out.
Byron likes this.

Gen 21:20 So God was with the lad; and he grew and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 01:14 PM
Part of the Community

Crunchy this morn but nice out, walked up on a small buck around 8 am , spotted a deer 60 - 70 yrds above me put him down with one shot, button buck , he will be good eating
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 02:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

Was out this morning.Saw one at 7:30 but it saw me or heard me first trying to figure out where it was coming from..Came from the wrong direction of course.Not sure what it was for sure.Also, found fresh tracks and was on them alittle while until I heard them take off ahead, but did not see them.Out before lunch.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 02:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

Was out in my stand overlooking main trail between my food plot and bedding area. Had 3 walk by heading to bed before shooting light at around 630. Had a nice doe walk by at around 655 but it was still too dark to make out my sights so I let her walk. Way too crunchy to try to still hunt so I came in around 9 and will hit it again around 3-330 till dark. Also did see 3 doe in the woods behind the plot at around 11 when I was out collecting eggs from the chicken coop.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325wsm View Post
Crunchy this morn but nice out, walked up on a small buck around 8 am , spotted a deer 60 - 70 yrds above me put him down with one shot, button buck , he will be good eating
Awesome! Congrats.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 06:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

Didn't hunt this morning had prior obligations. Got into one of my blinds at 3:00 in a thick area where it opens up a little. About 4:30 I had the hammer cocked. 2 doe were heading at me but turned and stayed a little farther than I feel comfortable taking a crack. Plenty of time. Buetiful out there!

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

As everyone else pointed out, it was crunchy out there. That put an end to my idea of still hunting for a couple hours.

I spent the afternoon sitting in a tree overlooking an open area surrounded by thick stuff. About 4:30 I got glimpses of a doe about 75 yards away, just inside the thick stuff. I presume there were other deer with her, though I have no way of knowing that. But she never stepped into the open, nor did any other deer. Thought for sure I'd see tails as I was climbing down at dark, but I didn't see or hear any.

Might get out tomorrow for the last hour. Got an appointment in the early afternoon to get the truck inspected, fingers crossed...

I kill because I'm hunting, but killing is not the reason I go hunting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page