The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Flinter hunting method

3K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  gobbler33 
#1 ·
how will everyone be doing it this year? drives? spot stalk? still hunt? or treestand?....ill be doing all but the drives are the most fun for me. we have drives that when i get to a certain point i think i should have heard a shot by now...and usually a few seconds later ker pow.....nothing like a successful drive in the late season.

#4 ·
Some drives some days. Still hunt mornings til around 12:30-1:00 and then get some lunch and a quick break. Into the blinds at 3:00 til dark. I think with this arctic blast coming in the deer are gonna be up and on their feet throughout the day feeding and with the snow it should make for some great still hunting oppurtunities.

#8 ·
Majority of time Its stands between feeding and bedding areas....some as simple as just leaning against a tree. Some still hunting-last year I walked up within 25 yds of an 8 rubbing a sapling but didnt have a buck tag so I just watched him for 15 mins till he finished and walked away. Would like to do drives but dont have the crew to do them.

#9 ·
Only harvested three and missed a few, but two were harvested while walking and the other from a stand by pressure from others.Drives are fun and almost the only way to get action at times.My experience is they are bedded before light a lot and move at almost dark a lot of days, but have experienced seeing them on there feet late morning or afternoon on very cold days feeding.Weather dictates a lot.Location and prior season pressures.

#10 ·
Ill sit for the first hour or two. Then slow hunt till I come up on a good place to stop a while. Do that most of the day. Then post up again for the last couple hours till dark. But around 1100 or so I like to build a fire, heat up soup or broth, roast a sausage or two on a good roll. Then a coffee. A hot meal is worth the time and I like doing it.

#12 ·
Generally get into a good area between feeding and bedding 0-dark:30 and catch them sneaking through.

We will also, on occasion, strategically place a guy or two and then a couple of us will still hunt in a way that we may get a shot or a deer we bump might go sneaking by one of the others. Not really a drive. But sorta.................

#15 ·
I plan waking up whenever. Having a couple cups of coffee while watching the food plot from my rec room. then maybe go for a walk and then get in a blind. May have to take my buddy heater.

No sense getting up early. The deer live there.

Reactions: MDsurveyor527
#16 ·
My still hunting lessons began back in the 40's, tagging along behind my Dad or brother somewhere on Briary Mt. in Preston Co., WV. These were squirrel hunts mostly since deer were a rarity there in those days. I've always enjoyed still hunting, but it has been altered to "barely moving" hunting these days since I need to concentrate more on where my feet land so I don't end up taking a spill my old bones don't need.

Being a lefty, I move in a way that my right shoulder can find a good tree for leaning, and I can lean for quite a spell, before moving on to another tree to repeat the procedure. My day usually ends when my tea and food supply disappears, or my eyes indicate it is my quitting time, and this is usually quite some time for PGC digest quitting time.

It is a great time of year to enjoy our Pennsylvania woods, so get out there, be safe, and shoot straight.:smile2:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.