cleaning flintlock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

cleaning flintlock

Once you sight in your flint lock do you completely clean your barrel or do you just run a wet patch or bore cleaner patch and then dry ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 05:41 PM
The Man

If I shoot it at ANY time,she gets a bath! No oil down the bore till season is over.
jimsdad, BuckStalker and Laylow like this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 06:17 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Yep. Not like a centerfire/smokeless bore. Once there's BP fouling in there, it needs to be cleaned out.
blackpowder and Laylow like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 08:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

Clean it even if I shoot it 1 time.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys I haven't hunted with a flintlock since high school I got my 12 yr old a TC pa hunter carbine for his birthday and we are both learning all over again and having fun while doing it. Forgot how fun they are when everything goes right but my TC pa hunter full length has always been dependable last time I shot mine was 1990 my senior year I killed a doe and all my buddies who I hunted with left for college or the military so I got more into archery but with my son hunting now its going to be fun again after Christmas chasing whitetails and making memories.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 08:55 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

That's a great post right there. Glad you're getting back to it!

I truly love the late season. I spent some years thinking it wasn't worth the effort once our group of hunters dwindled (most are passed on now), but now I love it. I enjoy the cold, the solitude, the tranquility and slow pace of the late season.
bob1961 and bigguy54 like this.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 08:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410-er View Post
if i shoot it at any time,she gets a bath! No oil down the bore till season is over.
^^^this
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanHillHunter View Post
Clean it even if I shoot it 1 time.
What he said, plus I do oil the bore even if it is hunting season. I just thoroughly dry the bore, touch hole, and lock area before using the gun again.
bob1961 likes this.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 05:17 PM
The Man

Although I just recently started fooling around with a flintlock, I've been shooting a cap gun for 30 years. At the range, I clean after every two or three shots with TC #13, followed by a dry patch, then lube with Natural Lube 1000. Once home, I completely clean with hot soapy water, then lube with Natural Lube 1000. I never use oil in the bore, I use Natural Lube 1000 bore butter to lube and protect. I even use it on the exposed metal instead of oil.
BCozhunter and good ole boy like this.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 07:20 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I don't oil mine. Ever.

I have them where I can see them often, and once in a while, I'll put a light down the bore and give it a look-see to be sure all is ok. They are fine year to year. I don't keep them in a damp environment, though.

I clean them till they're clean. Then I patch them dry, then I run WD-40 patches down to displace any moisture left behind. I patch that out till dry, too.

I will oil the main spring, and lightly oil the exterior surfaces, but I never put oil in the bore. I know people do, and it works as long as you patch it out, but I don't find a need for it.

When at the range, I shoot till I'm done, then I clean with some Hoppes 9+ to knock out the worst of the fouling, which helps on the home front because the family hates the smell of black powder fouling. So I take out the worst before going home. I don't clean between shots...I don't need to. At about 40 or so, I'll have to pick the crud build up off the outside of the vent to keep it clear. I won't need to swab the bore, though, till I'm done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page