Anyone Get Good Blood Trails with ML? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Anyone Get Good Blood Trails with ML?

I have taken about 15 deer with the flintlock over the years, using round balls and Powerbelt bullets. I have NEVER had any blood trail, NONE. I have shot all through either the lungs on broadside shots, or through the heart broadside. I would find them dead within 100 yards, entry and exit wound, but the only blood would be a drop on their nose/mouth. Right now I shoot strictly round balls with my .50 cal. being pushed by 70 grains of 3F. It shoots well, blows through them, but no blood. Anyone else see the same thing? Are there some lead balls that are "softer" than others which result in more trauma and blood?

Curious

Jay

Take an older friend hunting or fishing - they're the reason we do what we do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 10:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

Started a thread a few months ago about non existent bloodtrails from powerbelts and thats why I stopped using them. One was even In snow and there wasnt even a single drop of blood. I now use tc maxi hunters and have shot 4 with them and have had bloodtrails on all of them.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Same thing - probably about 10 of them were tracked in the snow with no blood at all. I haven't tried the maxi hunters, may need to look at them.

Thanks

Take an older friend hunting or fishing - they're the reason we do what we do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Frequent Contributor

Yeah makes ya wonder how many deer are hit with these and simply dismissed as a miss due to lack of sign. I like to use saboted pistol bullets in my inlines as working velocities are similar but haven't found good enough accuracy out of my 1-48 or slower flinters to hunt with them.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 09:01 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

First thing--- every deer I've tracked that's been heart shot has left nearly no blood, or even none at all. Keep in mind, with the heart damaged/destroyed, there's nothing to pressurize/push the blood. It becomes unpressurized/stagnant, which means it's not being forced out.

Second thing--- there are a ton of variables in whether blood will leak or not. Shot placement and angle are at the top of the list. Very solid vital hits can still produce horrid blood trails, whether with an ML or a rifle or a bow.

My buck this year was a less than ideal hit in the liver. Not at all what I wanted. When I backtrailed him the next day in daylight, there was a very substantial blood trail from where he laid down all the way back to the spot the arrow hit him. You'd never have expected it. Yet I shot one a few years ago in the snow (that freak Halloween snowfall) where the arrow passed just above the heart, and even in snow there was hardly any blood. Same arrows, same broadhead, minimal blood.

I shot one with my 62-cal flintlock that was DRT'ed. When I walked up to it, you'd think I'd scared it to death. Neither entrance nor exit could be found! I didn't find any actual holes till I peeled the hide. The angle at which I hit her was such that the hair was able to lay over the holes and cover them. Had she run, I'd imagine the blood trail would have been minimal until such point as there was enough soaked through the hair to start to drip, and she'd likely have been dead by then.

Shot one last January with the same 62-cal. X-ring hit behind the shoulder but she was quartering toward me and I didn't realize it. Ball went in tight to the back of the shoulder and right above the elbow. Came out behind the ribs on the far side. She started leaving blood about 10-15 feet from the hit (hair everywhere at the site of the hit), and left a reasonably good trail, sometimes a really substantial trail, for 200 yards till she died. I tracked her with my iPhone flashlight, if that's any indicator, lol.

It really does vary. I've found the most reliable hits for a good blood trail happen in a couple ribs back from the shoulder, and right about midway top to bottom. That seems to hit the most lung tissue, which seems to be a trigger or a good trail. And as soon as I've said that, a deer will prove it doesn't always work that way.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 09:20 AM
The Man

Quote:
It really does vary. I've found the most reliable hits for a good blood trail happen in a couple ribs back from the shoulder, and right about midway top to bottom. That seems to hit the most lung tissue, which seems to be a trigger or a good trail. And as soon as I've said that, a deer will prove it doesn't always work that way.
^ This ^
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 09:23 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Had the same problem using lee bullets, They shot vg. No blood at all both were lung shots and when i field dressed both had mush inside that blocked any blood from coming out, With rb's behind the shoulder most had a good blood trail.
You just never know.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 10:01 AM

The very first flintlock kill I made was with my .54 cal Great Plains Rifle on a Tennessee whitetail spike buck that went straight down, DRT. No blood trail to speak of because he went nowhere.

This year’s Montana mule deer doe was hit with a .50 cal TVM Early Lancaster and, while she ran for about 30 yards, she died within sight. She had a good, bloody exit wound from the slightly quartering double lung shot. You can see the exit wound in this pic:

I had a new hunter with me on this recent hunt and decided to use the short, but known path that the deer took to teach him how to blood trail. We started where the deer went down and then went backwards toward the hit location. There was ample blood on the ground from that wound to offer a worthwhile lesson.
outofstater likes this.

Last edited by Six-Gun; 12-20-2017 at 04:01 PM.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 03:19 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Six-Gun, you need to contact TVM about that rifle. Someone put the lock on the wrong side!
outofstater likes this.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 03:58 PM

Negative! For once, a builder made a gun correctly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page