4Likes
  • 1 Post By Dthomas
  • 1 Post By blackpowder
  • 2 Post By huntinlandscaper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
I'm about ready, how about you?

Its 9 days till Pa. flintlock deer season opens. And oh yeah, I'm counting them down. I don't hunt the rifle season but I was at camp and I sat at stand with some young people, organizes a few small drives for my daughter and son and law, and Ive had deer for supper a couple times already. To say the least I'm ready to hunt.
Getting ready is a process. It starts pretty much when the rifle gets a thorough going over and is put back in the rack when the seasons ends or I get lucky and fill my tags. (During the season its pretty much by the back door or on its pegs at camp.) That's when I start planning next season or wondering if I can afford to do that whitetail hunt in Maine I always wanted to take. Haven't yet, but I will. Then the shooting practice. The scouting. Getting a new piece of gear and messing with it.
Getting the old stuff ready. My wool pants and coat, my old hat and my bag. Then its time for a new flint, an edge on the knife, and a change in my pace, and in my mind.
Its 9 days out. I'm about ready. How about you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When I got home from my controlled hunt adventure at Middle Creek this past Wednesday, I figured it had been cold enough and windy enough to keep my powder charge dry so a round toothpick was inserted into the touch hole, and the rifle was returned to its pegs on the wall.

I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be, if a new pair of insulated boots shows up under the tree on Christmas morning.

Be safe, and good luck to all.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 04:57 PM
Regular Visitor

This is truly my favorite Big Game Season. We do a lot of drives with 10-20 guys. Itís always fun to hear how many guysí guns didnít go off at the end of each drive. We miss a lot, but have a ton of fun. Always fun to have everyone throw a dollar in a hat a try to shoot at target at the end of the day too. You see a lot of Flinching when that powder goes.
Buckskin Dave likes this.

You can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 05:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i'm pretty much ready all the time. just finished the rifle season, so everything is setting there ready to go. hopefully squirrels will be next and that stuff is all ready. did some scouting on the atv today and there seems to be a lot of tracks in all the areas I will be hunting and we also still have standing corn they are hitting hard. have some good stands on the way to the corn, but also have some really good areas to stalk around and get them. can't wait!!!!
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 06:36 PM
Banned

Yep, the possibles bag and horn are hanging in the basement workroom. All I need to do is replace the couple balls from the loading block that I fired when I shot my doe during rifle season. Other than that, I'm ready to roll. I had to pull the ball after my last day hunting rifle season because it was snowing and the barrel got wet, or else I'd have done like BerksCoflinter and just hung the gun up.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 06:48 PM
Part of the Community

I am always ready for THE hunting season, my favorite for sure. This year I drew a 1A tag only, having filled the buck tag I will be hunting close to home. I won't get out until Thursday though due to work commitments but I'll be out. Best of luck everyone.

Last edited by Dutch7; 12-19-2017 at 09:52 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 11:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

Im ready to try and fill my remaining 5c doe tags. Put some range time in today and 3 holes all but touching at 50 and only slightly opened up at 75 and 100. Got home and cleaned her up and did the final organization of my possibles bag. To top It off When I looked out the window at around 445 there were 6 doe feeding in the foodplot within 40yds of my stand there, so Yeah im ready!
blackpowder and Buckskin Dave like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page