Flint vs. Agate which is better? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Flint vs. Agate which is better?

I am not sure if this topic has already been covered or not. I have used agates in three different guns over the last 18 years without question simply because my father told me to use them. Iíve never used an actual flint. I went to the range this morning and was having a hard time getting a spark. I know I need to replace the agate, it has 20 or more shots on it. I was wondering if I should try a flint instead. Three years ago I couldnít get a shot on a giant 8 point due to no spark. What do you guys use? Can you Knap an agate? I am currently using a traditions pennsylvania rifle.

You can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 11:12 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is a thread "HOW MUCH SPARK IS NEEDED" lots of good information for you to digest...good luck.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 02:07 PM
Banned

Same as I responded on the other thread, get rid of the agate. IMO they are inferior to regular flint. They work until they start to get dull, then you have to use the opposite side, then once that's dull, they're trash. A flint you can reknap, and get many more shots from, plus they spark much much better to begin with. The only advantage to an agate is they are perfectly flat which does make them easy to mount in the jaws of the cock. That's they're only advantage over flints though. IMO agates are not worth using.
MDsurveyor527 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 02:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have used black English flints for over 30 years and see no reason to change. at a gunshow years ago I bought a quart of them for 20.00. I used to give some away to friends, but now I,m down to about a pint. still using them. eastbank.
blackpowder and MDsurveyor527 like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 05:45 PM

After switching to French flints this summer I'll never go back. From what I've seen this summer, some will dull faster than others. Like Blue Bird said, bust out the knapping hammer and a couple taps and you're off to the races again. Once I realized how simple and fast it was you could do it with a deer standing there. Assuming you know where everything is in your bag.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 10:36 PM
Part of the Community

ENGLISH FLINTS and good hardened frizzen..
bushmaster likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 08:33 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSTER COGBURN View Post
ENGLISH FLINTS and good hardened frizzen..
Is there anywhere you can get frizzen hardened?I have three old TC frizzen laying around and have a Lyman frizzen on my gun now.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 08:54 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Lots and lots of youtube vids on how to do it yourself....I've never had to do it, but it seems lots of folks have.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 09:38 AM
The Man

Nothin beats a true flint but I have also got a lot of shots from the premium T/C Agate flints.I have lightly dressed em to increase their life but they can,t be knapped successfully.Alot of it also has to do with the condition of your frizzen as well.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 09:43 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I carry a little turnscrew I got at Dixonís what has a brass hammer on the end to use as a grip for turning screws or to tap out pins and to tap flints.

I fixed an agate at the range for a guy who couldnít get spark for anything and had no more flints. My flints were too big for his lock or Iíd have given him one.

I knocked a bit off the blunt edge for him, got it sharp again, and he was shooting better than ever and was happy as a clam.

Advised him to have spare flints on hand for the future and he couldnít thank me enough.

Iíve gotten agates sharp before using the back of a knife I didnít mind scratching and the shaft of a screw driver. It can be done. Itís a pain, but it can be done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page