Projectile - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Projectile

I am thinking of changing from a patched round ball to a powerbelt. What experiences have any of you had as far as accuracy and kills. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:45 PM
Banned

What rate of twist do you have? If its say 1 in 48, then you can probably make the changeover without difficulty. But if you have a slow rate of twist (say 1/66) then a conical isn't going to perform well, as they require a faster twist rate.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt rudy View Post
I am thinking of changing from a patched round ball to a powerbelt. What experiences have any of you had as far as accuracy and kills. Thanks
why? just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

I use the powerbelt in my inline which I know is entirely different but have had great results and I won't lie, much easier loading. With a user name like yours, I need your opinion,lol
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 11:21 AM

As Blue Bird pointed out, it’s going to depend completely on your barrel’s twist rate. If it has a 1:48” or faster twist, it could work with one of the lower weight PowerBelt bullets. I have my doubts if the heavier/longer ones will stabilize at all, let alone with a slower twist. I could be wrong, but I wouldn’t be shocked if you got keyholing at any weight much above the 245 gr. offering.

If you have a traditional round ball twist in 1:60” or 1:66”, you can forget about it. The bullet will assuredly tumble and keyhole into the target.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 11:55 AM

I have tried them in my Traditions and it was not accurate at all. I prefer the .490 round ball and at 50 yards I can consistently put them in the bull. Killed many deer with the roundball. I agree with blackpowder, Why?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 11:55 AM

If a 1/48 twist, the lighter weight PBs will work well. I shoot 245 grain Aerotips out of my 1/48.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 01:27 PM
Regular Visitor

With a 1:48 twist, I've shot everything from a 245gr powerbelt to the huge 444 powerbelt with excellent results.

One of the easiest go to Powerbelts for everything from sidelock to inline is the newer 250gr Powerbelt Aerolite or even the 300gr Aerolite. Very accurate bullets in my rifles when I use them. Im strictly patched round ball for now.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
With a 1:48 twist, I've shot everything from a 245gr powerbelt to the huge 444 powerbelt with excellent results.

One of the easiest go to Powerbelts for everything from sidelock to inline is the newer 250gr Powerbelt Aerolite or even the 300gr Aerolite. Very accurate bullets in my rifles when I use them. Im strictly patched round ball for now.
That’s good to know and nice to see some real world experience with them. I never would’ve thought a 444 would stabilize in a 1:48” purely because so many of the modern inline muzzleloaders meant to fire modern conical projectiles like PowerBelts are set up in 1:28” twist.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 04:36 PM
Regular Visitor

It will stabilize heavier as well. I've tried custom 460gr conicals with no issue, other than recoil.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page