How Much Spark Needed - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

How Much Spark Needed

I'll hear people talk about a "shower of sparks", or "a lot of sparks" to ignite the pan. I shoot a lyman Great Plains and purchased good flints from Dixon's near Hamburg, PA. The gun shoots, but it seems like it isn't as instantaneous as people describe on different sites. I've stood in the dark and dry fired the gun to see how much spark, and I see a couple of sparks but that's it. Rarely does it NOT fire, but just seems a little slow.

1) Do you always see a shower of sparks when you pull the trigger?
2) How do you increase the amount of spark?

Thanks
Jay

Take an older friend hunting or fishing - they're the reason we do what we do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 01:30 PM
Regular Visitor

Assuming that you wipe the frizzen and flint clean after each shot, spark should be very consistent. As the flint chips and shortens, things will certainly change.

Instant ( fires faster than my percussion!! ) talkers are normally just that. Talkers with no realistic thinking. No flintlock fires faster than a percussion.

This is one of my flintlocks firing. instant? it sounds like it, but in truth, its the fastest flintlock ive shot but i still shoot better with a percussion.

You just have to play around of the amount of pan powder.

Some say 3fg is faster to ignite, i highly disagree, my ignition slows down using 3fg. I now fully use 2fg goex in my flintlocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f1.JPG (225.2 KB, 15 views)
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 01:40 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
Some say 3fg is faster to ignite, i highly disagree, my ignition slows down using 3fg. I now fully use 2fg goex in my flintlocks.
You're talking main charge, right? Or are you saying you use 2f in the pan as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 02:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use to try and fill the touch hole full of powder. I now find if I just charge the pan the dang shoots pretty quick.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 02:58 PM
The Man

Set your flint up so it has slight clearance at 1/2 cock with the frizzen.
Wipe your frizzen with alcohol to remove any oils.Won't hurt if you do the flint also.
FAST ignition also depends on the location of the touch hole.Is it in the bottom of the pan or from the bottom about 1/8"?
Black English,French Amber,and American Chert all give excellent spark and last 60-80 shots.

Pictures 227 by t410er, on Flickr
Buckeroo likes this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 03:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'm far from an expert, but was told years ago by a very knowledgeable shop owner to put just enough powder in the pan so that when you tilt the lock side down and bang on the lock plate side you end with powder only in about the out side 1/3 of the pan. Do that before you shoot also. It supposedly encourages the explosion towards the touch hole, and avoids a fuse like situation. I've been doing it and very seldom get a misfire.
blackpowder likes this.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 04:56 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
You're talking main charge, right? Or are you saying you use 2f in the pan as well?
2fg main change and 4fg in the pan.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 05:45 PM
Part of the Community

I have a T/C and it seems slow as well. My grandson has a pedosoli and its reaction is quick. I looked both guns over and notice his fire hole is a little large than in the T/C. I dont plan on changing mine but it apparently the larger hole makes a diffence.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Y View Post
I'll hear people talk about a "shower of sparks", or "a lot of sparks" to ignite the pan. I shoot a lyman Great Plains and purchased good flints from Dixon's near Hamburg, PA. The gun shoots, but it seems like it isn't as instantaneous as people describe on different sites. I've stood in the dark and dry fired the gun to see how much spark, and I see a couple of sparks but that's it. Rarely does it NOT fire, but just seems a little slow.

1) Do you always see a shower of sparks when you pull the trigger?
2) How do you increase the amount of spark?

Thanks
Jay
Quality flints, such as those mentioned by 410-er below, and the quality of your frizzen are the most important factors when it comes to a, "shower of sparks". You might consider having Greg Dixon test your flint/frizzen combination for sparking quality. This is just one more factor in making flintlocks respond "nearly" as instantaneously as the mentioned percussion piece above.

Best of luck as you enter the fascinating world of flintlocks!

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 06:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsimmons6351 View Post
I have a T/C and it seems slow as well. My grandson has a pedosoli and its reaction is quick. I looked both guns over and notice his fire hole is a little large than in the T/C. I dont plan on changing mine but it apparently the larger hole makes a diffence.
Many liners used in customs have a 1/16" hole. That, or 5/64th are what is mentioned most often on the muzzleloading forums I am on. Smaller is sometimes iffy, like on moist days. And 6/64th is large enough for 2F and 3F powder to dribble out.

As for sparks, More truely is Better. If you can watch the shower, make sure it is directed into the pan. More sparks should hit the interior of the pan vs. outside the pan. If not, shimming the flint for a bit more or less angle, just might make it spark better, and hit the pan. Or flip the flint.

Additionally, sometimes the frizzen could use some hardening, more in factory guns, as opposed to customs. If the flint is doing more than scratches, the frizzen is soft, or angle of strike is too blunt. Scratch the frizzen with the edge of a file. If scratches show, it is not hard enough. Either use Casenit (sp?) with a torch, have a Smith harden it, or in the case of TC and Lyman, get another frizzen. If your frizzen doesn't scratch with the file, chances are it is angle of flint.

Remember, the spark is a very fine shaving of steel, heated to high temps during the shaving. If the shaving is too thick (blunt angle), it slows the cock, and heat is not generated as hot. And too much angle, the flint can't purchase any metal.

All of this, AND the need for a sharp flint! :-)
bushmaster likes this.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page