Colerain, Green Mountain, Rice...... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Colerain, Green Mountain, Rice......

I'm considering building another flintlock. A squirrel rifle this time, a .32 caliber if I can get a barrel, but I'll settle for a .36. Not sure which barrel I want to buy. I've been looking into Colerain, Green Mountain, and Rice. Rice seems to be the most expensive. Is there any one that is better than the rest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Part of the Community

Hey Blue bird ..

I happen to have a 42" 13/16" Green Mountain barrel in a .36 caliber that I was thinking about selling ...
PM or email ([email protected])me if this trips your trigger !!!

I also have a fair selection of stock blanks on hand .. if you need ..

I just remembered that in my basement is a Getz 40" , .32caliber 13/16" barrel , inlet into a very nice stock of curly maple .
A friend of mind was interested in it and I can check with him if you're wanting to have it a look at it ..

Thanks ..

Allen Martin

Last edited by Allen Martin; 12-11-2017 at 01:09 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

BB, I have shot my .32 a lot and shot a bunch of game with it, but i didn't build it. so last spring I built a .36 when I really wanted a .32 but couldn't find a barrel. although it is a nice rifle, I just could not get past the fact that I wanted a .32. I have since got everything out in the shop to build a .32 and think that will make me happy. if it were me, I would go with the .32. there is nothing to gain going to a .36. ballistic wise for small game, there is no difference and all you are doing is using more powder and lead. if we could use them for deer hunting, then a different story. I also would buy the best parts available if I was going to put the time in to build one. I would JUMP on that Getz barrel and stock if you have the chance. JMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 06:09 PM
Part of the Community

I like the Rice barrels. If you buy directly from Rice, you can get almost anything. They`ll cut the length, dovetails for sights, swamped, straight, etc. I have a rifle in .36 cal. & 2 rifles in .32 cal. Really like the .32 for squirrels.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Martin View Post
Hey Blue bird ..

I happen to have a 42" 13/16" Green Mountain barrel in a .36 caliber that I was thinking about selling ...
PM or email ([email protected])me if this trips your trigger !!!

I also have a fair selection of stock blanks on hand .. if you need ..

I just remembered that in my basement is a Getz 40" , .32caliber 13/16" barrel , inlet into a very nice stock of curly maple .
A friend of mind was interested in it and I can check with him if you're wanting to have it a look at it ..

Thanks ..

Allen Martin
Allen,

Thanks for the offer. At this time I'm not yet 100% ready to pull the trigger so to speak. I'm still in the consideration and gathering funds stages. Besides, I'm left handed, and unless the barrel, and stock are set up for a south paw, I'd not be able to use it. I will however keep you in mind for sure if and when I do decide to commit and take the plunge.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 12-11-2017 at 09:50 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
BB, I have shot my .32 a lot and shot a bunch of game with it, but i didn't build it. so last spring I built a .36 when I really wanted a .32 but couldn't find a barrel. although it is a nice rifle, I just could not get past the fact that I wanted a .32. I have since got everything out in the shop to build a .32 and think that will make me happy. if it were me, I would go with the .32. there is nothing to gain going to a .36. ballistic wise for small game, there is no difference and all you are doing is using more powder and lead. if we could use them for deer hunting, then a different story. I also would buy the best parts available if I was going to put the time in to build one. I would JUMP on that Getz barrel and stock if you have the chance. JMO.
Yeah, I'm leaning pretty heavily on the .32. Its not so much a consideration of lead or powder, as I've got enough lead to last me the rest of my life, and powder isn't an issue. All I've ever read on squirrel guns has mentioned the .32, and that is what I want to try.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 12:28 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
Allen,

Thanks for the offer. At this time I'm not yet 100% ready to pull the trigger so to speak. I'm still in the consideration and gathering funds stages. Besides, I'm left handed, and unless the barrel, and stock are set up for a south paw, I'd not be able to use it. I will however keep you in mind for sure if and when I do decide to commit and take the plunge.
If it's only inlet in the blank, I'll bet it's still able to be a righty or lefty...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
If it's only inlet in the blank, I'll bet it's still able to be a righty or lefty...
True, but what about touch hole placement. A lot of barrels come with pre drilled touch holes. The man didn't mention this. Just saying.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
Maybe, but he didn't mention whether the lock mortise has been inlet yet, or whether the touch hole has been pre-drilled. More than likely its right handed, just from an odds perspective. That's why I mentioned being a lefty.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 12:57 AM

I have 4 new barrels from 3 makers and none of them have touch holes. They must have forgotten them!

Joking aside, once you get away from kits, most barrels aren't drilled for touch holes or dovetailed for sights or tennons...heck, some don't even come breached.
blackpowder likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page