Looking for your thoughts - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GobbleBuck

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Looking for your thoughts

I have a Pedersoli 45 cal Kentucky rifle. Has a 1 in 48 twist barrel. Would you suggest maxi balls or round balls for hunting? I have a t/c hawkins that shoots maxi balls but with the twist in the Kentucky do you think round balls would be better? Will be working on loads and projectiles this week. Cant wait for the late season.
Thanks in advance, Howard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My gut tells me round balls would be better, but there is only one way to find out!
blackpowder likes this.

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 09:52 AM
Banned

Try both, and whichever shoots better is what I'd use. That said, I have a T/C Renegade percussion that has a 1/48 twist an I have tried both round balls and maxi's and the maxi ball using about 80 grains of powder was easily the hands down winner. The same is holding true with my son's Traditions Frontier flintlock. His shoots way better with maxi balls.

Even though the 1/48 twist is supposed to be a compromise twist rate that should work well with both types of rounds, my experiences have told me that rate of twist is better suited to conicals than round balls. But youre mileage may vary. As I mentioned try both types, try different powder charges, different patching with the round balls etc, then decide for yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 09:57 AM

1/48 is a compromise that will shoot round balls ok and conical/sabots ok. If you wish to use conical or sabots, stick with the lighter, and therefore shorter projectiles, which will stabilize better in 1/48 than longer and heavier projectiles. I shoot 245 grain conicals out of my 1/48 with excellent results.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 12:34 PM

Gotta shoot and find out.

My experience is the exact opposite of Blue Bird's. My renegade would shoot balls fine. When I tried maxi's it shot so low I didn't have enough adjustment in the sights to get it centered.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

yeah my T/C hawken had a 1/48" twist that shot PRB good with 70 gr 3f goex, but also shot T/C cheap shot sabots good with the same powder charge....

exocet w/STS, munch mount
boo string and trigger
2117 w/ blazer vanes and brass inserts
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAPJAW View Post
Gotta shoot and find out.

My experience is the exact opposite of Blue Bird's. My renegade would shoot balls fine. When I tried maxi's it shot so low I didn't have enough adjustment in the sights to get it centered.
That could've been your powder charge to blame. Did you try to increase the powder charge? With 80 grains of 2fg, I used to get baseball sized groups at 100 yards with it. I had it sighted for dead on aim at that yardage. Had plenty of adjustment left in the sights.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 08:53 PM
Part of the Community

usually a roundball barrel in 50 cal is 1 in 66 twist, the larger the ball the slower the twist. A 45 cal is fine at 1 in 48 twist, rule of thumb is smaller caliber faster the twist.

Chartiers valley#725 F&AM
NMLRA,HCH,CLA,
Forest Grove Sportsmen
Sewickley S & F Club
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
That could've been your powder charge to blame. Did you try to increase the powder charge? With 80 grains of 2fg, I used to get baseball sized groups at 100 yards with it. I had it sighted for dead on aim at that yardage. Had plenty of adjustment left in the sights.
With 100gr of FFg it shot about a foot plus low with the couple "bullets" I tried. I tried the Buffalo "Ball-et" and something else I can't recall someone let me try. Only reason I remember the ball-et is I have them right here, I'm a bit of a pack rat with hunting/shooting supplies. Even with the sights cranked all the way up I could only get it about 6 inches low at 50yrds. PRB was no problem though out to 100yrds.

No worries now, I sold that gun and went true old school.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 12:59 PM
The Man

I would start with a .440 and a .445 RB.Try also a patch of .015 and .018.Maxis will work and will group but are my last choice for hunting.Any muzzleloader,unless the crown is damaged,will give less than 1 1/2" groups at 50yds.
Tightest groups and what you can hit with that 1st shot out of a clean bore!

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page