• 3 Post By Six-Gun
  • 1 Post By wstrouse
  • 1 Post By bad primer
  • 1 Post By Blue Bird
  • 1 Post By Blue Bird

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

My TVM 20 GA Fowler has arrived!

It's been a long 7 months, but my lefty Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading 20 GA Fowler has arrived. I went all out on the wood, upgrading to the max quality, presentation grade curly maple with a dark brown finish. This is a significantly higher grade than even the beautiful wood on my .50 cal Early Lancaster. It's absolutely stunning, and the hues within the wood are dynamic depending on how the light hits it.

Matt Avance and the TVM team did a fantastic job of making the finish just dark enough without drowning out the wood's natural curl, and the overall fit and finish is tremendous. You'll notice the hand-carved and hand-engraved embellishments, which added a little bit of build time, but I believe were worth it to compliment a piece of wood this nice.

This gun is intended for use primarily as a true fowler, with pheasants, quail and turkey as the primary targets. However, I also have some .600" and .610 lead round balls to test out to 50 yards and see if I can't get groups worthy of a big game kill some time in the near future.

At any rate, here is the full feature set:

- Presentation grade curly maple (dark brown stain, 13.5" length of pull)
- 20 GA smoothbore octagon round Colerain barrel
- Large Siler left-handed lock
- Brass furniture and fittings
- Jim Chamber White Lightnin' touch hole liner
- Pineapple (tang) and beavertail (mortise) carvings
- Weeping heart thumb piece inlay (engraved)
- Scroll engraving (lock sideplate)
- R.E. Davis single trigger

If you're in the market for a quality muzzleloader, and donít have the tools to build your own, you owe it to yourself to give TVM a look. Their turn times are excellent compared to many outfits, and the final product is insanely nice. It doesn't hurt that they have excellent, personal customer service.
BillHjr, blackpowder and Dutch7 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 01:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

That is an insanely nice piece of wood.
Six-Gun likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! They informed that they had grades of lumber above what was offered on their website. I mulled it over for a bit because it was going to push the price up significantly. In the end, I decided that I couldnít settle for going halfway and went for the max. After seeing it in person, I donít regret the added cost one bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 03:30 PM

WOW ! that is sweet !!!

I would be afraid to take that out hunting.........
huntr4477 likes this.

NRA life member
DU member
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 12:23 PM
Banned

Beautiful gun. I wish you much luck with it.
Six-Gun likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys! Itís so nice to look at, but I canít own a safe queen. ALL guns get hunted, no matter how pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad primer View Post
WOW ! that is sweet !!!

I would be afraid to take that out hunting.........
Believe it or not, I took it out for wuail this morning...and brought the wrong danged powder flask. Bummer, but Iíll get more chances. Thankfully, I brought my modern shotgun as a backup and did still score a couple of quail on a short time in the field.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 09:58 AM
Banned

No point in putting out a load of $ if you aren't going to use the thing to hunt with. You'd be getting half the pleasure out of it. That said, I always build my guns plain so if they do get dinged up, no big deal.

Ahh the dreaded wrong powder flask. That's why I use one powder horn for all, this way no issues.....Now, if I ever build me a squirrel gun then I'll have to use a different horn, simply because I'll be using 3fg instead of 2fg as I use now. But until then, I will use the same horn for everything.
Six-Gun likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

I totally agree with your position on shooting what you buy. Only difference is that I’m not afraidto scar a pretty stock and touch it up if needed. I was low crawling with my pretty .50 cal in Montana, doing my best not to damage it, but not sacrificing stealth for vanity when it came to setting it down on the ground in the process. Thankfully, it was no worse for that treatment.

Yeah, I use FFFg in my .50 cal and somehow, that flask ended up in my new 20 GA possibles bag.

Meanwhile, my limited load work in the new 20 GA was done with FFg. I discovered quickly during testing that even minor changes in load layout can take you from a decent pattern to a total donut. I opted to avoid potential frustration and just wait for another day instead of praying that a totally different powder would work out. It was disappointing, but after a 2-hour drive to my hunting spot, I didn’t want to blow opportunities and possibly go home empty handed.

Last edited by Six-Gun; 12-05-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page