question on wad or bore button - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

question on wad or bore button

Ok I saved my doe tag for late season flinting, have an older TC hawken that I got in the late 70's, she shoots pretty good with patched round ball and 83 grains, never used a wad or bore button between powder and ball should I try this, also few years back I couldn't find any 2f so I bought can of 3f been using it am I hurting performance and should I go back to 2f, thanks and it was hard not taking the recurve back out in bow but glad now wife connected on a nice buck last week which gave us two in archery which is enough for now, a young doe in late season would work out real nice keep us from buying beef for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 01:13 PM

Re: question on wad or bore button

There is a geometrical problem with using a wad between the powder and a PRB. A bore diameter wad like a felt wonder wad, is flat. When compressed down against the powder by a patched round ball, the wad curves to the diameter of the ball. When the powder ignites and the pressure is forced against the ball, it is still curved, this time under much more pressure. The problem as I see it, is that a bore diameter wad curved up against a patched round ball , loses a third of it's diameter, leaving a ring around the wad where the patch is exposed to the burning powder. Some folks swear it helps seal the bore, gives higher velocity, and cures other muzzleloading aches and pains. From a strict junior highschool geometry point of view (circumference equals 3.1417 x diameter) the wad when pressed against the curvature of the ball, just plain can't seal the bore. This seems to be an idea that stems from the days when flat based bullets were first used in muzzleloaders and a wad was necessary to seal the bore andd keep the powder from melting the lead bullet (that was not sealed or protected by the patch like a round ball)

For that reason, I have never used a wad over the powder when shooting a PRB.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Part of the Community

Zimmy nailed it. It she's running good on 3F with a plain PRB, why mess with it? The only time it may help to use a wad is when you have some sort of problem and "need" the wad to make-up for a lacking of something else somewhere along the way. If you do need to use a wad like the flexible wool felt, the wad needs to be considerably larger than the Groove diameter just as Zim explained above.

I haven't seen much benefit from the soft wads used in conjunction with PRB's - under balls in a C&B revolver they often prove valuable. When there are issues with a PRB, I suggest using the pre-lubed 3/8" thick fiber wads from Circle Fly Wads but you need to size the wad so it's larger than the groove diameter not the bore diameter (bore diameter is the minimum diameter, groove diameter is the maximum diameter inside a rifled barrel)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks guys, guess if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchirish
Thanks guys, guess if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.
EXACTLY!!! I find it hard not to want to try new things when things are working just fine too. But experience will dictate otherwise.

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You might even consider reducing your charge if using FFFg instead of FFg. If your TC is a .50 cal., 83 grains of FFFg is a pretty warm charge. Drop back in 5 grain increments with your FFFg, and see if you just might find a sweeter spot your barrel appreciates.

I use 85 grains of FFFg in my .54 cal. Green Mt. barrel, and it actually smiles, I think!

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 01:26 PM

Usually as a rule of thumb, a T/C 1:48 barrels sweet spot is 70-80 gr. FFG, a .490 roundball and a .015 cotton patch. That is from my experince with them and actually matches what T/C`s booklet reccomends for a hunting loads.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks again, gonna measure out some 75 grain loads and head down to the range at the club, will let you know how she likes it.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 09:08 PM
The Man

A properly patched RB needs nothing else.Proof at 50yds.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think he traced that black circle from his truck tire!!

Nice shootin'

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page