Shooting my Leman - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Shooting my Leman

I posted back in July when I got this rifle. It's a TVM .54 cal leman.

I've been bowhunting everyday this week and decided to sleep in today. When I got up I had a bright idea, I do have them occasionally. I'll take a drive down to Dixon's and get some fix'ens to make smoke. I picked up some .530 balls and some .020 patches, I have powder and .018 patches already. Well, over $100 dollars later I made my way out the door. Called my dad on the way home to see if he wants to go to the range and we'll shoot this rifle. We meet at my house and get to the range and commence shooting. Below is the target and I have the shots numbered. I'm not finished yet, trying to walk it in. It's going well so far. I had to drift the front sight, went to far by the way, but I got it lined up now. Started filing the front blade down, getting there. Don't wanna go to far at once. File a little, shoot, file some more, shoot. I hope to finish it up this weekend. Also I put a pic of the patch, it's a .018. How's it look? She was a little stubborn to load, it got a little easier as I went along. I'm figuring a new barrel I would have to put some rounds thru it to "smooth" it out some. I'm shooting 80 grains of 2f, I'm gonna use that till I get where I want to go and try and go up and down with the charge size. All shooting was at 50 yards.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 08:20 PM

Re: Shooting my Leman

You might want to wait a few hundred balls before you file that sight down too far. The barrel ain't broke in yet!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:07 PM

I LIKE IT:
LOOKS SHARP
you may want to try a wad under the patched RB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 06:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Stik, I'd say you're on the right track to having a real shooter, and are proceeding correctly to creeping the POI to where you'll want it by the late season. My .54 ended up enjoying 80g. of FFFg, a .535 ball, and a .015 patch.

That is one beautiful rifle! Enjoy it, and the next three or four you'll add soon.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Berks, you're up mighty early. Today is my last chance with the bow. It's only gonna be a half day at best. I want her to shoot about an inch high at 50. I'm going to work on it again Sunday. She goes off pretty quick. Had a couple no fires, changed the rock and it was ok. Have a good day, Mike

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I sleep in fits and starts, an hour here, a couple of hours there. If I spend too much time sleeping, I can't remember the sequence of any dreams!

I'm heading to Lycoming Co. in an hour or so to hunt grouse. I hope to dust some feathers with my 24 gauge fowler. I at least hope to make smoke.

Your goal with your flintlock sounds just about perfect. Mine comes in about 1 and 1/2 inches high at fifty. Beyond 75 yards, I can't see well enough to shoot at a deer anyway.

Good luck to ya.

Berks

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-Joe
You might want to wait a few hundred balls before you file that sight down too far. The barrel ain't broke in yet!
If that's the case, my Lyman Trade Rifle I bought in 1984 still isnt broken in!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Re: Shooting my Leman; Update

I made it back out today to finish up the Leman. I switched to a .015 patch from a .018, loading after the first shot was easier. Here's my last two groups after walking her in. The first is 4 shots and the second is 3 shots. I could stand to go up a bit, but I'm gonna use it as is for now and limit my shots to 75 yards or less.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Regular Visitor

That otta make some meat.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 04:17 PM

Great shooting!! Some guns just like the .015 patches better and the best part they load easier

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page