A couple great flints I've been using - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

A couple great flints I've been using

This lock/frizzen is the factory lock on my Traditions Mountain Rifle with 1/2x5/8" French Amber Flints.

Now I just recently said what the heck and ordered a package of 2 RMC german cut agate 1/2" agate flints. Same rifle as above. Now I do understand that the agate flints are harder on the frizzen, BUT, I personally think that is a frizzen issue, not so much a flint issue. If the frizzen is soft and gets ate up, that's the frizzens fault.

Both flints have done a wonderful job and I am running the Agate flints on 2 of my Traditions rifles, testing them out to see how long they last/hold up. They come in a 2 pack and I got mine on ebay for around $13 shipped which is pretty pricey for 2 flints. These however are knapped on both ends, so you basically get 4 flints for whatever price you find them at. That eases the cheapness in me if I think of it that way.

My 2 newest traditions flinters are both 2016 models, so it seems like they've done a lot better job with the frizzen than on my 06 kentucky rifle. Huge welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 12:44 PM

I was using the RMC flints on my TC. They got about the same life as the amber flints(depending on the flint of course). They were all I used in the TC because I could shoot and shoot and shoot at deer without worrying about it going click. Yes, they eat the snot out of a frizzen. And until TC told us all to take a long walk off a short pier, frizzens weren't a problem. I was getting about 5-8 years out of a frizzen before it wouldn't spark. Frankly, I'm happier now with the amber flints and a knapping hammer. I've shot about 100 rounds through my new gun this summer and I'm still on my second flint.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page