Browning barrel question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Windsniffer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Browning barrel question

OK so I have Ben redoing an old CVA Jukar KY rifle my dad bought for me when I was a kid back in like 1978. Any way reading it just because its been a closet queen for 30 plus years and never did function well. (Poor spark) and victim of some better T/C rifles. Lol any way rebuilt and polished the lock with new springs. Actually sparks great now. Also redoing stock a laural mountain maple with just a touch of oak. To make it look old. And put a Jim chambers touch hole liner in it. Any way going to brown the barrel now. Do you brown with fixed sights in the barrel or out and brown them seperatly? I know this is not a top knotch flinter. But it practice for me. Oh and doing a finish of track of the wolf oil. (BLO cut with pine spirits) how many coats should you do?
Thanks for help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 06:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

For as simple (usually) as it is to slide the sights out, I think it would be advantageous to brown all of it and then reinsert the sights. It would help to keep those crannies from rusting later, I believe. Put successive coats on until you are happy with the appearance. The more coats, the darker it gets. I probably overdid it with mine and it looks almost blued. I like the appearance and nobody else has to like it.
blackpowder likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 09:12 AM
Banned

I browned my Lancaster rifle's barrel with the sights off of it. Mine has a brass front sight so it made sense to brown the whole barrel then install the sights. Yes, I did brown the rear sight to match the barrel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks guys this is my first time and yes I took the sights out. I know its not a custom gun and I will probably never even use it. But I want to do it right so I learn. Again thank you so very muck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page