Black English flints Vs German agate flints - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Black English flints Vs German agate flints

Greetings Fellow Flinters,
I own a Lyman Deerstalker .50 cal flintlock rifle. I have found that my Gun loves 90 grains of double-f to fire 295 grain power-belt bullets with what I consider very nice accuracy at 50 yards. I don't want to try killing a deer passed that range with open sights, as I'm afraid I may wound and not kill it. My question is this... So far, I've only tried German agate flints in my gun. They work, but after about 10 to 12 shots, they get temperamental and tend to misfire. Has anyone who owns a Lyman Deerstalker .50 cal flintlock tried other flints, like Black English? I hear good things about them.
Thanks as always for your precious time.

The hare is smarter than the panther.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 09:26 AM

I have never shot a Lyman Deerstalker, but can tell you with fair certainty that you should have no issues at all using English flints in your gun. I never had issues getting a good spark from a cut, agate flint with my Lyman Great Plains Rifle, but as you noted, they only go so long and cannot be knapped back to functional sharpness like a quality English flint. I switched over to English flints with that gun and had no issues at all.

It should be noted that agate flints are also tough on your frizzen, and can shorten the life on that part as well after prolonged use.

Last edited by Six-Gun; 07-12-2017 at 09:29 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Frequent Contributor

What he said......
Cut agate flints can't be sharpened. With just a little tapping on the leading edge of a black Flint, you can sharpen it good as new. And they can be resharpened multiple times. Takes a little practice but it's worth the effort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 11:08 AM

Best way to figure out what a lock likes is to try different flints.

I had good luck with German agates in my TC lock and L&R replacement lock. They actually last longer for me. They dull and can't really be knapped...but they would keep sparking just fine. I always kept a fresh one in while hunting for insurance.

Bevel up, bevel down, different kinds of flints, distance from the frizzen face etc all make a difference.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 12:34 PM

I was buying the cut flints from RMC for my TC. They lasted a long time, guessing 15-20 shots at least. Don't really know because inevitably I would end up having to take it hunting so I always switched to a fresh edge.

Now that I have my first longrifle I switched to traditional flints. I've been getting them from Morrison's in Titusville. He wasn't sure what they were, but they are cream or pale orange-ish color. Those things hold up phenomenally. My first one I got about 20 strikes before it wouldn't spark. Knapped it and it was sparking great again. I wish I had been using these for the last 20 years.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Cool. Thanks guys.

The hare is smarter than the panther.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 04:36 PM
The Man

I shoot TC's,Lymans,and a custom.I use 3 types of flints that I get about 80shot out of before they are done.
Black English,French Amber,and American Chert
Those German flints get a MAX of 20 shots then they are done!

Pictures 227 by t410er, on Flickr
tdd and blackpowder like this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 05:31 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Stover View Post
Greetings Fellow Flinters,
I own a Lyman Deerstalker .50 cal flintlock rifle. I have found that my Gun loves 90 grains of double-f to fire 295 grain power-belt bullets with what I consider very nice accuracy at 50 yards. I don't want to try killing a deer passed that range with open sights, as I'm afraid I may wound and not kill it. My question is this... So far, I've only tried German agate flints in my gun. They work, but after about 10 to 12 shots, they get temperamental and tend to misfire. Has anyone who owns a Lyman Deerstalker .50 cal flintlock tried other flints, like Black English? I hear good things about them.
Thanks as always for your precious time.

Don't hesitate to use English flints. The agate can be sharpened on a stationary belt sander if you should by chance have one. If an English or French flint isn't too worn, you can slowly bring them back to a nice crisp edge with a COURSE diamond faced hone. It's hard on the hone....but once in a while you can find one marked down. If I can find one for about $15, I can come out ahead based on the cost new flints. For flints that are really far gone....it's not worth it.

A while back I found a pile of old copies of Muzzleloader Magazine in a second hand store. One of them had an article showing how to make a motorized sharpener using a diamond faced wheel. The wheel turned rather slow and required running water. I have no doubt that it would work.

Last edited by Curly Maple; 07-12-2017 at 05:34 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:55 PM
Banned

The cut agate flints tended to beat up my frizzens more than other flints, so I chucked them. All I've used for a long time is English flints.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 12:15 AM

As something of an aside related to this topic: does anyone know what they actually use to cut agate flints from the raw rock for use on guns? I never pondered this until right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page