Off brand barrel question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Off brand barrel question

I'm thinking of starting the collection for my next build. Thinking of a 32 cal.

While I was looking on TOTW I saw they had a basic colonial kit. The barrel for it though was a straight octagon and doesn't list a manufacturer, just "Made in the USA". Wondered if anyone has had, or heard of, any experience with these barrels. It gives me pause to just hit the add to cart button not being a Rice or Colerain, or even a manufacturer I can look up.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 03:31 PM

Could always call and ask who makes it...or have something else substituted.

I've noticed their website is like that with some stuff though. I was looking at their Hawken pistol trigger...no mention of maker. It's R.E. Davis...or someone blatenly copied it.

I've noticed that before too....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 07:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

I was planning that same gun as my next build in .36. I have no personal experience with them, but you might want to check out Pecatonica River. They're catalogue is much more informative and it looks like they inlet for the barrel you select, Green Mountain or Colerain, even swamped barrels. They seem a little cheaper too. I'm now planning on they're Lehigh gun next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:30 AM
Banned

Definitely call them and ask. If you get some non answer, then I'd be wary.

I've been leary of ToTW ever since I bought the bag mold from them. It didn't list a manufacturer, so my bad I guess, but when it came it had a "made in India" label on the package. So next time, if it doesn't say "made in USA" in the ad, I'm not buying until I ask and get confirmation first.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 05-26-2017 at 09:33 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 07:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

for me with the time I put into building a custom gun, I will only use a top of the line, name brand barrel. and after the last two builds, they must have radius cut rifling. I have not used a rice yet to compare to the colerains and may not, because I am very happy with them both in accuracy and cleaning. why put in 150 hours and a $1000 in parts to save a few bucks on a ????? named barrel? douglas is another barrel I would use, if I come across one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page