woodswalk courses vs paper meat shoots - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

woodswalk courses vs paper meat shoots

just looking over some of the old threads and wondering why the western part of the state holds more paper meat shoots and the eastern holds woodswalks .i like them both but we just dont get the shooters for a woods walk and also what kind of prizes do you guys have

hate hang fires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:49 PM

Re: woodswalk courses vs paper meat shoots

I prefer the woodswalks over shooting at paper. I have been to shoots that have woodswalk, paper, and a novelty targets to shoot at. They awarded prizes of meat, racks of ribs, large packs of chicken, some steaks. I have won ribs and they taste even better when you win them

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 12:44 PM

I competed in alot of matches beck in the 1980's. Most of the weekend shoots were paper matches with some novelty stuff thrown in, and prizes were usually merchandise instead of meat. Stuff like powder horns, possible bags, cans of powder, range rods etc. Woods walks were sort of unusual back then. Another thing I have noticed is that paper match shooting was less traditional. Some folks including me had guns for target shooting that had way to carry a ram rod on the gun. We loaded from a large tackle boxes that contained enough tools to rebuild a lawn mower engine, sufficient lead to ballast a sail boat and powder to blow a stump. Loading from the pouch in the traditional manner was practiced by just a few die hards. The fist black powder club I belonged to, had a lot of members that were machinists and engineers who just had to experiment with things. A thumbhole stock, flintlock with olympic red field peep sights, and the stock painted metal flake green and a fancy false muzzle target barrel, were not that extraordinary. It was the first time I saw an experimental electric trigger and electrically ignited muzzleloader.

We also shot alot of muzzleloader pistol and cap and ball competition. Not many folks still into that here. I read that in Ohio, there is enough interest that they have a state muzzleloader weekend pistol competition.

Part of the problem with the paper matches of old, was that the same few guys won all the matches. The merely good shooter and others would be discouraged by that. I really liked the way the Dan'l Morgan Shoot ran their matches. It was best 5 shots of seven on a target. That gave the good shooters and even some beginners a chance to disregard flyers and compete with the better shooters. Each person that placed got a plaque and picked a number from a hat, which determined the order of choosing prizes from the prize table. I remember one year the kid that came in second or third in the sub-juniors match drew ticket number one and as I recall, got a new rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

ive just noticed that around here [western pa ]is more into the paper meat shoots our club stilled had the woodwalk courses but we only get a handful of guys.It just seams funny how the state is devided between the to types of shoots

hate hang fires
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Frequent Contributor

To me shooting paper is boreing. Dont get me wrong I can hold my own punching paper but I would much rather shoot out of my bag on a woods walk or novelty shoot with a good group of guys razzing each other.

Paper is the only way to realy fine tune loads and point of impact relative to sight picture.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 12:55 AM

Much rather shoot in a Woodswalk than Paper. When shooting a Mountain Man or Woodswalk course there is more of a relaxed atmosphere. More of a friendly heckling among shooters.....
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 02:54 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Do both and make the winner a aggregate.

BTW, when is the next one

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 04:15 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Location: South Fayette Twp., Allegheny Co, PA; From Latrobe/Greensburg,PA Area pre 2012/

I posted this in anothe rtopic but it also applies here , so I'm posting it again:
I've been shooting at shoots since 1978, but not as much over the last 2-3 years. I was a member of the Loyalhanna Longrifle Association out of Latrobe PA which ceased operations around the mid 1990's. We'd always have 30 to 50+ shooters at our monthly shoots and well over 80 participants at our yearly rendezvous. Our main draw was the fact that we never shot the same targets or distance in consecutive months. We had 20 shooting positions with 3 to 5 targets at each one. We'd have 15 shots at the monthly shoots and changed targets at each station monthly. We had short (10-25 yd) medium (20 to 50 yds) and long (40 to 80 yds) rangge targets and their sizes varied. By having a different course every time out it was a challange to every shooter. And all shooters felt on even footing with everyone else. I, for one, dislike shooting the same target, at the same distance and rotation every time I go to a particular shoot. At rendezvous we added a novelty match, smoothbore and other competitions. Another target that will be enjoyable is an air tank gong at 150+ yards, if you can swing it. Yes, I could find myself coming to your shooting event once or twice. But more if there is a variety of challenge.

'Mad Irish' Jack O'Donnell
I started hunting as a youngster. Yeah, I saw BAMBI. I got over it!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

mad jack we have 4 woodwalks course at our club and yes a old hot water tank 162yrds but we just dont get the shooters since i took over the montly shoots still dont the shooters i hear someguys say this is way and that[not gettin into that stuff] but iam just tryin to draw more shooters and maybe draw some newbes into this great sport .but like i said in the beginin it just seams the western pa is paper and eastern is woodswalk ,i guess i should just be glad iam still shootin weather its by myself or with a group of guys

hate hang fires
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Location: South Fayette Twp., Allegheny Co, PA; From Latrobe/Greensburg,PA Area pre 2012/

Gas [prices and milage are a stumper in todays economy. Until I can be fully retired I won't have the time to travel. I only have one weekend a month off. Is/was Don Blazer a member of your club?

'Mad Irish' Jack O'Donnell
I started hunting as a youngster. Yeah, I saw BAMBI. I got over it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page