Ramrod loading issue, any tips? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Ramrod loading issue, any tips?

Unable to use ball starter if jag is left attached to the rod. If jag is removed, the end of the rod is not cupped to fit the ball like the stock ramrod and the RMC jag is.

This is my first flintlock experience. Anyone have advice for this issue?

I got the replacement ramrod from RMC and the quality is excellent except for one end not being cupped for loading. I contacted RMC and he said he is unable to create a cupped end, only cut to custom size.

Any workaround for this issue? I see rifles with extended jags on them fairly often so someone must have had this problem also?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ramrod.jpg (75.0 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 08:53 PM
Banned

Not sure I follow. Are you not using a short starter to first get a ball started into the bore? If you use a short starter, you can then simply ram the ball home with the cupped end of the jag on the rod pictured.....

When at the range I always used a cupped jag on my range rod to seat the ball. It enables more contact on the ball and IMO causes less deformation of the top of the ball if you need to tamp a ball slightly to firmly seat it on the powder. I only use the supplied ramrod when hunting, where I'm normally only loading the ball down a clean, or nearly clean barrel, which usually offers little resistance.
171farm likes this.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 03-06-2017 at 08:56 PM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 08:52 AM
Frequent Contributor

If I understand the question correctly, you typically only keep the jag on at the range, not hunting. The female screw end of the ramrod is typically facing towards the breech when hunting. On my Lyman the end opposite the female screw end is slightly enlarged and cupped. It would not be possible to insert that end towards the breech.

What does the other end of your rod look like?

Last edited by wstrouse; 03-07-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:12 AM
The Man

He could just leave the length of the ramrod where it is, and replace the extended jag with a button jag. It will still protrude but it may be tolerable for him. It is handy, while hunting, not to have to always dig out the jag to run a cleaning patch down the bore between shots...
USAF_SP and fireinahorn like this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:21 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Hard to tell, but is that an all-brass rod? That's gotta be heavy if so....?

I might be tempted in this case to measure the rod in place for diameter, then buy a similarly sized work rod or unfinished rod, cut to appropriate length, then round the end at the muzzle when in the pipes and use it without an end on it. My long rifle rods are bare wood on the ends and work fine.

It would annoy the living snot out of me to have a jag hanging out the end of the rifle like that. I know I'd be snagging it on stuff constantly.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:24 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I never gave this any thought before. I went and checked the two rifles I hunt with. both the renegade
with an all brass ramrod and the custom I built that has a fiberglass ramrod I have the jags on both. I've
killed plenty of deer with both but don't recall if I had to reload quickly that I would have to take the
ramrod out before I could use the ball starter. I had to have taken it out first as I just tried it and I
definitely hit my fingers on the jag. LOL But at the range I always leave the ramrod out.
I looked at the brass ram rod on the renegade and I have used it without the jag because the other end is
cupped and still fits thru the thimbles.
fireinahorn likes this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:30 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

This could lead to the question of whether or not a starter is necessary.

My deer gun has a coned muzzle, and while I'll use a short starter for ease of loading at the range, I've loaded it in the field with no short starter.

My 36 has a squared off muzzle, and when I was squirrel hunting in Feb, I managed to lose my short starter (don't ask, lol) while hunting. I reloaded it just fine with the rod only.

So I guess the other question you could ask here .... Is a short starter really needed?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 12:52 PM
Banned

If he's asking about the jag sticking out the way it is, I say no big deal. I see many guys at the range, and when hunting that have rods that stick out like this. On most guns, a rod that fits neatly under the barrel, will only leave an inch or slightly more of ramrod out of the bore when the ball is rammed home, or if using a jag when cleaning. Not too easy to get your hand around an inch of wood if the rod gets stuck in the bore from a tight cleaning patch, or if you need to pull a ball.

As to the need for a short starter, I for one say they are necessary. Yes, I've heard there is no real record of their use during colonial times, etc, but nowdays they're a popular and useful item. All it will take is one hard to load ball then you realize you need one. Sometimes you just can't get enough leverage on a tight fitting ball with just the ram rod to pop it into the bore. The knob on the short starter does the trick.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 03-07-2017 at 12:54 PM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:09 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

This is why I asked the question...truly asked.

For a properly lubed/fitted PRB, I don't think they are NECESSARY for hunting. Nice, sure. When I have time, yeah, I'm good with using one just to make life easy.

I've loaded both my rifles without one, quite a bit.

But a full bore projectile will foul more, and often only allows 2 or 3 shots before cleaning or you won't get the projectile down all the way. That's a totally different animal.

Hence my question to the OP as to whether a short starter is really needed.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:53 PM

I purposely make my ramrods long, with a button jag attached. Give me something to grip when I swab a barrel. My using a short starter is no problem
fireinahorn likes this.

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page