Next Build...you're kidding me right? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Next Build...you're kidding me right?

Got all excited when I got home. A long box and long tube on the porch. Pretty much knew what they were as soon as I saw them. My Bedford CM4 stock from Pecatonica and the barrel for it from Rice. Cool that they happened to show up on the same day. Took them down to the shop and was happy with the wood. Other than I wish it was slab sided on the forestock like my last 2 builds. This (and the other I have from TOW) has the forestock rounded off. Makes it a little harder to drill pins than if square. Anyhow, will work with it. Nice piece of wood. Will ask if they can cut the next one like I want.

Now the barrel. Sight dove tails done just where I asked. Then I turn the barrel over to look it over more. Then WTH!? Four barrel tenon dove tails cut! I can't use those. not on a 3 pin rifle. I never even ordered or paid for them to be done. Where the heck did they come from? To say I'm bummed and a bit [email protected]#$ed to say the least. Not the kind of stuff I would expect from Rice. Sent an email and will call tomorrow. Irks the crap out of me

USAF Security Police, MSgt (Retired)
NRA Life, NAHC Life, NMLRA, American Legion Life, VFW Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 06:14 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Oh man..... that stinks!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
Oh man..... that stinks!
X2!!!! that chunk of wood on the front is a big help, my current build didn't have it. makes me nervous every time I put it in the vise. looks like another fine rifle in the making!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Just got off the phone with Jason at Rice (the guy I made the order through). He said he got my email from last night with a copy of the original invoice attached. He agreed they screwed up. He also confirmed that the production run for those barrels was done like he told me they would be when I placed the order. Basically I caught the end of the run. Luckily, he did say they had made some extra blanks and have them on the shelf and will be sending me what I ordered and will reimburse me for shipping to return the "oops" barrel. Hopefully get the good one in a week.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:39 AM

Kind of like ripping the paper off that Christmas present and finding its an ambulance and not the firetruck you wanted. I can feel the air going out of the sail from all the way over here.....
Hang in there and keep up posted on how this goes.

BTW, are Rice barrels typically made with the grove a shallow "U" or is that a special order feature?

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

They have a shallow squared groove version as well and deep round bottom groove. You'd have to look on their web site. I've been using Colerain deep round bottom on my last two rifles and came to like it. Just need thicker patches. Ordered the Rice at the 18th Century Artisans Show at the beginning of the month since he said I would have it in 2-3 weeks (still waiting on the Colerain I've had on order for last cpl months). He did have shallow square groove on hand at the show for $200 as opposed to the $275 this one cost me to order.

Tried Lehigh Valley Lube and pillow ticking in my 45 Colerain deep round groove on Monday. 25 shots without swabbing between shots and all were easy to load. Pillow ticking is slightly thinner than the normal patch I use, but worked. Going to try my normal thickness patches next time. Deep round grooves help. Need to try LV lube in my .54, don't remember what barrel it has. been a while since I looked (15 yrs)

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 08:59 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Regarding rifling, so far I have one of each...my Hoyt barrel is deep round grooves, and my Getz is more shallow and square. I haven't had a ton of shots through the Getz yet, but so far it's behaving well with regard to loading/fouling and is very accurate.

The Hoyt is good in all regards....I've got probably 200-250 shots on that one now.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Well, the saga continues. Returned the barrel using 2 day shipping though USPS. Barrel showed up at Rice 2 weeks later (another reason I hate using USPS). He had told me 1 day turn around once he received the returned barrel. Just called me to tell me that he did receive the barrel yesterday, but made another mistake...he only has square bottom rifling on the shelf and asked if that would be ok. I told him no, that I passed on buying 2 of those this weekend because I wanted round bottom. So, I got told it will be another 2-3 weeks, if he can squeeze it in, before I see the barrel. I may end up with more time just getting freakin barrels than in actual build time on these two rifles. NO idea when the Colerain barrel will show. I know one thing, come the builders fair, I'm stockpiling a couple barrels for the future.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 03:02 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Yeesh, that's discouraging, that's for sure.

Hopefully you get squared away sooner than later. I wish Dixon kept more variety than the Rice barrels he seems to mostly stock, but I guess he doesn't get enough barrel sales to make it worth keeping the inventory.

You make a point about buying ahead on projects and getting the most limited stuff in advance...likely the barrels.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Dixon's had two barrels, that if they were radius grooved, I would of picked up and put on the shelf for the future. At the Fair I hope to pick up a 50 and 54 cal barrel. Maybe another 45 cal as well. Radius, if he has them on the table. For a .45, I thought of restocking my present one. But then it won't be "#1". Besides, the barrel I am waiting on is a 45 for "#3" (nicer wood and less mistakes) to kind of take the place of gun #1. Really have come to like 45 cals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page