back up or parts? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

back up or parts?

we are making plans for our September moose hunt in Newfoundland and I need to decide whether to take spare parts for my main gun or take a whole extra gun in case there is a problem with the number one rifle. I figure, if I take spare lock parts that should be good and would save taking a second rifle. others thoughts???? THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:44 PM

How much hassle is an extra gun???

I don't know...I always like to take a 2nd gun even to camp...

A little less to go wrong with a flinter outside of the lock...But never know what may happen. Sight falls out of a dovetail. Slip and fall and crack a wrist. Ramrod snaps. (just thinking lol...).

Can't fix those with backup lock parts. Probably not a cheap trip or a trip that happens frequently. I'd go loaded to the gills so I'm ready to make the most of the hunt...

What are you planning on Hunting with?? A moose with a Flintlock and a bow are dreams of mine!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:46 PM
Banned

What if those spare parts get lost or forgotten on the dining room table, and you don't notice until you're 35,000 feet over some fly over state? If me and I had booked a trip like that, I'd definitely have a backup gun along. Alot harder to misplace a whole gun than a small bag of parts. my.02c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

primary rifle is my Christians Springs .62 cal. back up would be my .62/20 gauge trade gun.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:30 PM

I'd take the back up and a shot pouch and wads...I'm sure there are grouse or something to hunt if the moose hits the dirt early on! Lol.

Good luck! Can't wait to hear about the trip!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:40 PM

I second taking the second back up gun. Plenty of things to go wrong besides "parts".
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If you plan on hunting birds or waterfowl, Mae sure you get the licences before you get to the outfitter. They usually only have the big game tags in camp.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:24 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06 View Post
I'd take the back up and a shot pouch and wads...I'm sure there are grouse or something to hunt if the moose hits the dirt early on! Lol.

Good luck! Can't wait to hear about the trip!
100% agreement on all of the above.

Take the smoothie and shoot birds if you have time, and use it with a ball as a backup if your rifle hits an issue.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 01:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Location: South Fayette Twp., Allegheny Co, PA; From Latrobe/Greensburg,PA Area pre 2012/
Flying up, a nightmare with regs. Driving still has customs rules and regs. Duties and what can go in and out. Cover all your bases. Have verification of gun ownership; especially if they're custom guns. There are quit a few USA citizens that reenact who don't do Canadian event now due to regs and powder rules. Do your research. Double and triple check ALL the gear and essentials. And, then re-check them a couple more times. Make a detail list; copy it and use that as a check off list. Good Success for your attention to detail.

'Mad Irish' Jack O'Donnell
I started hunting as a youngster. Yeah, I saw BAMBI. I got over it!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 07:04 PM

Buy and take the extra fully functioning firearm.
Trying to rely on one rifle and then taking the other one as a source for parts in case something on the main gun breaks strikes me as too risky - especially on something as special as a moose hunt. Shoot, I would not take that chance on a prairie dog shoot.
Also, you know how these rifles are and trying to repair one in the field without the appropriate tools is a prospect that I personally would dread. It would take time away from the hunt or from the company of your companions and there is the possibility that you may be incapable of the repair or, heaven forbid, the replacement part does not fit (unless you do the Eli Whitney Test - you really won't know if all the parts are perfectly (PERFECTLY) interchangeable.

Spend the extra money, get a back up gun, sight it in and have it ready to go. Sell the extra gun when the hunt is over. I would venture to say that not one person here wants to hear that your hunt was ruined or hindered in any way - especially because of a malfunction firearm.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page