Looking for flintlock build ideas..... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Blue Bird

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Looking for flintlock build ideas.....

Hoping to start my first flintlock build in the upcoming months. Still trying to get ideas together on exactly what I want to build. Not going to build anything close to historically accurate, just a hunting rifle of my own doing. My basic idea is to start with a hawken style stock and work from there. Mix and match different inlays, carvings, sights, ect that strike my interest. Not afraid to try different things but I need some ideas. Anyone who has built a flintlock at home, I'd love to see a picture posted of what you've done! Or maybe ideas of things you wish you would have done differently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 09:21 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

You'll want to talk to mauser06. He's just done exactly what you're about to start.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 10:43 AM
Banned

For your first flintlock, IMO you should keep it simple. I'd honestly stay away from any fancy inlays or carving, and concentrate on obtaining a functional firearm first. The fancy stuff although pleasing to the eye, does absolutely nothing to enhance the way the gun shoots. If you just have to inlay something, then do so with the side plate and or a toe plate. These two items are not difficult to inlay but they will show you whether or not you have the skill to do inlay work. You don't need frustration with your first build or it may turn you off to further attempts.

I think a lot of people romanticize about their first gun as turning out as beautiful as ones they've seen in books or at shows like Dixon's Gunmakers fair, etc. You need to realize those guns were created by skilled craftsmen with decades of experience, and dozens, sometimes hundreds of guns to their credit. I'd like to see their first guns , not their hundredth. I'd bet their first attempt was something on the order of a poorboy, devoid of anything fancy that would cause headaches. Just a gun that looks ok, but definitely goes bang.

Keep it simple, strive to make shoot well, while still having the gun look ok. It doesn't have to win awards, but it will be your creation no matter what. And remember, most hunting firearms are plain Janes. A deer doesn't care about fancy inlay work, or silver doodads imbedded in the wood. The only thing that concerns Mr. Buck is that piece of lead that's going to come his way.
tdd and Six-Gun like this.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 01-17-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page