.50 vs. .54 roundball - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

.50 vs. .54 roundball

Ok; this has been beaten to death but let's hear some more opinions.

This question is for those that have real life experience with both .50 and .54 calibers using only roundballs and shooting only whitetail deer <u>within 100 yards</u>(don't include .45,.58 or others).

How much difference have you seen in the effectiveness of either calibers. Things such as distance to recovery; blood trails; penetration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: .50 vs. .54 roundball

Almost none. Lots of years on the path. I have never had a roundball shot deer drop to the shot, never. The only thing I ever noticed is a few 54 cal kills had a more noticeable "shock" area around the entrance wound when skinned out. Either is poison in the hands of a good shot !

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 07:11 PM
The Man

Killed couple deer with both.No difference.All about shot placement with ANY caliber or gun.The 54 will not make a bad hit a good one over the 50 cal.
Only difference you will see in guns is the 54 cal will be lighter in weight over the 50 cal.Same blank for barrel just that they remove more steel to cut a larger bore making the barrel slightly lighter.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

Barrel weight is controled by the contour of the barrel. Obviously if you use the same contour then a 54 caliber will weigh less. However most builders use a different contour for a 50 than they do for a 54 caliber. I am currently having a TVM Early Lancaster built right now. I am having it built in 50 caliber. And the 50 caliber is several ounces lighter than the 54 caliber in the same rifle. Because they use a different contour barrel for the 50 caliber. My new rifle is going to have a Rice swamped barrel.

Back to the OP. I struggled with the same decision on the build I am doing right now. I went with the 50 caliber in the end.

I have shot both the 50 and 54 over the years, and truly noticed no real difference, but there is a difference there.

My final decision was based upon what the builder told me. And he said if it mostly for deer and other small game then the slight favorability of the 50 caliber ballistics to 100 yards makes it a slightly better choice. Especially when shooting smaller critters. The builder also told me that if the rifle was going to get some steady elk hunting then he would suggest the 54 caliber. I told him I might make one or two more cow elk hunts. He said the 50 would handle that. But if I was going to do a steady diet of elk hunting then definitely go with the 54. Tom.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossie
Ok; this has been beaten to death but let's hear some more opinions.

This question is for those that have real life experience with both .50 and .54 calibers using only roundballs and shooting only whitetail deer within 100 yards(don't include .45,.58 or others).

How much difference have you seen in the effectiveness of either calibers. Things such as distance to recovery; blood trails; penetration.
IMO the 54 is far more effective. It hits harder plus the 54 ball expands better in my experience. I killed one 300 lb TN Wild Boar(dropped like a ton of bricks) & 5 deer so far with my 54 & all either dropped in their tracks or went less than 25 yds. The blood trail is far superior with the 54 than any of my 25-30 50 rb kills.

The larger 54 ball also delivers more payload(Ft Lbs Energy) than a 50 plus most always achieves complete penetration. A direct 75-100 yd shoulder hit with a 54 vs a 50 will convince you fer sure!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

Loggy I have heard alot of guys say what you just said. I put alot of thought into the new rifle I am having built. And the 50 versus 54 caliber debate is the only thing I am doubting myself on. Your testimonial makes me think I did wrong by ordering a 50 caliber?? Tom.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
Loggy I have heard alot of guys say what you just said. I put alot of thought into the new rifle I am having built. And the 50 versus 54 caliber debate is the only thing I am doubting myself on. Your testimonial makes me think I did wrong by ordering a 50 caliber?? Tom.
Tom...both the 50 & 54 are very respectable killers. Sorta like a 12 ga 3" vs the 3.5" in a turkey gun. We all have preferences based on our hunting styles, expectations etc. I never had a 50 rb hit deer get away.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Tom, Loggy was on hand to see the amazing hog my son killed with his .50 cal. Yorktown, built by Brad Emig. This smelly beast went 450+lbs., and traveled 20 feet after being hammered with a .495 roundball, pushed by 65 grains of Goex!

After two misses, I finally anchored a small 90lb. hog with my .54 cal., Brad Emig built "Yorktown" with a .535 roundball ahead of 85 grains of Goex. The hog went 20 feet!

You do the math.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Either way it sounds like fun. What actually made me go with the 50 caliber was that my new rifle is going to see a whole bunch of ground hog hunting. Tom.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 PM
The Man

I dropped a deer in it,s tracks in 09 with my 50 cal at about 40 yards.I also bought a .54 rifle this year year but haven,t shot it yet.You wouldn,t go wrong with either cal,you,ll love your .50.so don,t have no regrets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page