The NMLRA - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
The Man

The NMLRA

Are any of you all members? Seen a bunch of guys at a sportsman show and seems like a nice group.Dues are $40 a year and you get Muzzleblast mag.I was wantin to get some imput to see if I was goin to join up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 02:35 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: The NMLRA

I've been a member of NMLRA for many years.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:26 PM

Member since around 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A member for many years, but NMLRA lost me when inlines became a significant part of their agenda.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 PM

A very good organization that works hard to protect our gun rights and the traditions of muzzleloading. I have known Jim Fulmer and his wife for several years. Jim is one of the primary writers and the PA rep. Despite their inclusion of in-line articles in the magazine, NMLRA was one of the first groups to fight for keeping the Winter season traditional. Also one of the early groups to push for an early season of muzzleloaders. Well worth joining!

GBJ
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks for the news.I don,t mind inlines included but had the impression it was o;d school flinty,s like Pa.long rifles.All of the muzzle blast mags they had on hand were all about period dress and old weoponary.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks GBJr., I was not aware that the NMLRA was involved in gaining the Flintlock Only Season for Pennsylvania, or helping to provide the early season for muzzleloaders.

As you, I shared many re-enactment camps with Jim and Linda, and for a few years, shared a membership with Jim in the First PA Regiment. I didn't share the NMLRA's acceptance of inlines, but that is just my single-mindedness, and my loss I guess.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 AM

I have been a member for about 25 years and they are the only ones out there fighting for the rights on the black powder shooters.
I think it was about 15 years ago that they embraced inlines because they loaded from the muzzle and shot black powder, they could not ignore them any more. About what the archery people went through with compounds.
I still support the NMLRA, I attend their rendezvous' and I still shoot flint, and I still try to educate the inline shooters to the joys of flint, although it is a loosing battle.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Frequent Contributor

I am not a member but I can see a little benefit of including inlines. This is a sport that if you start out with an inline sooner or later you get to thinking backwards and wonder if you could shoot a sidelock percussion and then most likely will digress further to the flintlock. What better way to expose the more traditional arms than to invite the modern inliners to your group. I think it makes sense.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Just to ad two cents, NMLRA is a great organization however they are not the only ones fighting for black powder, as a board member of the North-South Skirmish Association for the last 6 years and member for over 30 we also fight for the black powder rights. We shoot all civil war era weapons so not too many flinters but bunch of smoothbore's, muskets, carbines & revolvers. We are even working with the NMLRA this year at their Friendship Renedevouz to promote the Susquicentennial of the Civil War. We do not allow the in-lines simply because we are based solely on the War Between the States.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page