January 6, Day 11 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

January 6, Day 11

Anybody out already or headed out for the evening sit? I'm just finishing up a bite to eat and then I'm headed out. Good luck and stay warm everyone!
Bugle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:21 PM
The Man

I was out and was surprised on how many sets of tracks I seen headin out before lite.They must have really been movin right after the snow let up in the wee hours.A bright sunnt day here is gonna get em up and movin.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Was out at first light and jumped one or more?Only heard them busting out.Saw some tracks in the light snow we had overnight.No fresh beds.Was out by 10am.Have to work today.Hope to get out Sat.
Bugle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:44 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I was out this morning saw lots of tracks from over night and saw a really good buck. I'm guessing 18-20" couldn't count the points. I killed one in archery isn't that the way it always seems to go but nice to see a good one make it this far.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:58 PM

Will be out this afternoon.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Missed a flathead while sneaking around at about 10am. Can't believe she didn't spook before I saw her. I was trying to be quiet but it was still loud. She was bedded in some nasty thick jaggers. I just saw her head at about 50 yards and had no tree to get a good rest. Couldn't try to move the extra 5 yards to get to the nearest tree. She was looking my way. I whistled to get her up and held as still as I could and missed. Followed her tracks a couple hundred yards just to be safe. Clean miss, which I'm glad.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 05:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Still hunted around our farm and saw four does and a small buck. The snow is really squeaky and makes it hard to still hunt.

The older I get the better I was.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 06:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

Was out this afternoon. At 355 had a lone doe come sneaking in right as i had taken my gloves off and was to stand and take a leak outta the stand. Believe she saw me fumbling to cock the gun and Stopped at 54 yards and for 15 mins wouldnt come a step closer. Now I REALLY had to pee and couldnt wait. I had a steady rest on the rail of my ladder stand so I took the shot. When the smoke cleared saw her running with tail up not noticably injured. I climbed down, took care of bathroom business and went to where she was standing. Found white belly hair on the snow and 3-4 eyedrop size specks of blood. Also noticed a fresh hole low on a log a few yards behind where she was standing.....all Indicated a low grazing shot. Waited 25 mins and folllwed her fresh tracks in the snow with NO more blood found and no deviation from her running gait to indicate injury for at least 100 yds until her tracks mixed in with those of about 15 other deer in a herd I jumped about 100 yds into trail. By this time it was dark and I headed in confident I had only grazed her with a superficial wound.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:18 PM

I was out this evening with the flinter still hunting around the pines and swamp. Saw a good amount of tracks but I didn't see a tail. Not sure if they're still holding tight or if I should be sitting somewhere else. Most likely we'll be out tomorrow.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” C.S. Lewis
NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
WCO David Grove, LODD 11/11/10
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:23 PM
Part of the Community

I missed a doe 125 yds away yesterday at 5 PM.
Probably ruined my chances at getting one today by looking for her a second time.
There was no blood or hair and it was hard to find tracks yesterday evening.
So I moved everything to another stand.
Found that the windows lost their seal and were frosted on the inside.
So I used a glass cutter to score a line around the frame and busted out one of the double panes.
One window I did right, the other I removed the good pane and kept the frosted pain.
Really couldn't see much out of two of the windows.
Got really cold after 2 hours so I lit the kerosene heater only to discover that it leaked about 2 qts of kerosene on the wood floor of the shed..
At 5 PM there was a 3 alarm fire, fire trucks drove past the stand with their sirens blaring.
I figured it was either going to get good or be a bust - since the sirens could have scared the deer out of the thicket beside me.

On my way out of the woods, I found the third deer track from the group I shot at yesterday.
Now my mind is relieved that I didn't hit that doe and have it run off and die somewhere.
All the fresh tracks from last night or this morning were all headed north - into the thicket.
I'm surprised that the deer were on top of the ridge instead of down in the valley where it would have been warmer last night.
Mercury thermometer said -2 this morning, it never got above 15* here today!
I managed to stay out for 4 hours today...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page