Traditions Deer Stalker---Any one use? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Traditions Deer Stalker---Any one use?

Anybody here use one of these and how does it perform?
Would you buy another one ,if so ?

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 04:06 PM

I have one. It's the first muzzleloader I bought and now serves as my spare gun. While it feels flimsy, it shoots surprisingly well. I wouldn't buy one if you're serious about flintlocks but if you just wanna give flintlock season a try it's a good starter gun.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 01:11 PM

I agree with 280 Gun is junk

Life Member NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 02:36 PM
Banned

Traditions is a good starter muzzle loader, or kids' gun, but that's about it. Not good for much else.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 05:26 PM

For another $100 you can get a lyman deerstalker.. much better gun.
Bates likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 06:20 PM

I don't agree with lower quality guns being considered good for starters.

I havent touched a traditions in a long while...But like 10-15 years ago the deer hunters were pretty cheap and a couple buddies bought them...They were not really worth carrying IMO.

I understand a cheaper option is best for someone new before committing to a more expensive option...But a flintlock the is not really reliable will do nothing but harm the new shooter into believing all the old wives tales about flintlocks and not firing and poor accuracy due to very slow ignition etc...

Not knocking Traditions...Maybe the ones I've handled and tried to fire were duds..Maybe the quality is better now..Maybe their other models are better...

Besides inexperience low quality guns are probably the other top reason for all the wives tales about flintlockin.

I rather see a new shooter setup for success.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 11:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06 View Post
I don't agree with lower quality guns being considered good for starters.

I havent touched a traditions in a long while...But like 10-15 years ago the deer hunters were pretty cheap and a couple buddies bought them...They were not really worth carrying IMO.

I understand a cheaper option is best for someone new before committing to a more expensive option...But a flintlock the is not really reliable will do nothing but harm the new shooter into believing all the old wives tales about flintlocks and not firing and poor accuracy due to very slow ignition etc...

Not knocking Traditions...Maybe the ones I've handled and tried to fire were duds..Maybe the quality is better now..Maybe their other models are better...

Besides inexperience low quality guns are probably the other top reason for all the wives tales about flintlockin.

I rather see a new shooter setup for success.
You are free to believe what you want, but a Traditions gun IS reliable enough to be a starter gun. They're just not a gun that anyone who wants to grow in the hobby with will want to keep as their sole arm. Once a person becomes serious about black powder guns, they then realize the Traditions guns are on the low end of the scale, and they move on to a more expensive and yes better quality firearm. My 15 year old kid has one. For his needs right now its a decent enough gun. I'm sure in the future if he decides to continue in the sport, he may want me to build him a better flintlock from a kit of better made parts. But for now, its fine for him.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 12-24-2016 at 11:20 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 12:39 AM

Like I said, maybe they worked the bugs out of their other models are better...The couple I messed with years ago were better suited to be boat oars. If the pan ignited it was something to be happy about...I tinkered with one for a while and couldn't help it. Tried every flint and configuration I had.

Like I said, maybe a fluke..Maybe they've gotten better..I'm assuming so because I know guys have success with them...Heck, my buddy has killed a deer or 2 with that very rifle...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06 View Post
Like I said, maybe they worked the bugs out of their other models are better...The couple I messed with years ago were better suited to be boat oars. If the pan ignited it was something to be happy about...I tinkered with one for a while and couldn't help it. Tried every flint and configuration I had.

Like I said, maybe a fluke..Maybe they've gotten better..I'm assuming so because I know guys have success with them...Heck, my buddy has killed a deer or 2 with that very rifle...
All I can say is, the one my son has goes off every time. The lock time is nowhere near as fast as the lancaster I have with its Slier lock, but his guns works well enough. I wasn't about to spend $800 plus for a flintlock for him, only to have him possibly reject or lose interest in the sport. But for the under $350.00 that I paid for his Traditions kit, it was worth it. Like I said, if he continues in the sport, I'll buy him that more expensive gun later, and we'll simply sell the gun he has now.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 01:43 PM

The gun that I bought brand new back in the 90s you could never keep powder in it. If you tilted the gun even slightly I lost all my powder. Even returned it to the muzzloader shop by the Lycoming mall that I purchased the gun 3 times to no avail. The owner should have exchanged it instead he added washers to close up the gap. After I took that gun to Dixons and they shook their head I walked out with a Thompson

Life Member NRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page