Cleaning between shots? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Cleaning between shots?

I am somewhat new to flintlock hunting(2nd year) and I was wondering how often you clean your barrel when sighting in and how you do it. Also, any tips on sighting in in general would be much appreciated.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” C.S. Lewis
NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
WCO David Grove, LODD 11/11/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 05:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't. if your combination of ball, patch, lube and charge are all working together then there should be no need to clean between shots. one big tip on sighting in I would give, is where that first shot goes from a clean barrel compared to the shots after it. that is the shot that counts the most. if the stars are aligned with you combination, then there shouldn't be enough difference to worry about.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 06:45 PM

The key to accuracy is consistency. Some guns seem to do better than others with out swabbing between shots. Some shooters are just so bad, they can't tell the difference. Some shooters are so inconsistent with the rest of their loading procedure that it does not matter in their shooting.

The key to muzzle loader accuracy is the ability to eliminate the variables that affect accuracy. There is a joke about muzzle loader shooters loading the same each shot and if they fart between shot 1 and 2 they must fart the same between every shot. With modern production guns, generally having crappy sights, and folks measuring powder charges inconsistently, and turning the patch a different angle when loading and deforming the ball by pounding the heck out of it and seating the ball with different pressure each time, the variables can get up into the dozens. amount of prime powder, whether it is near or away from the touch hole, is the amount of lube on the patch the same each time., does one shot take so long to shoot that the patch lube fouls some of the powder charge. Follow through, wind, stance, hold, etc. For hunting minute of deer generally does it for most. Swabbing the barrel between shots, a wet patch up and down twice, followed by two dry patches, is what I followed for years in target competition. It made little difference in my offhand shooting, but mattered a lot when shooting on the bench. When a guy that does not swab between shots can shoot 5 shot cloverleafs offhand at 100 yds, I will reconsider my position.

I won matches, not because I was the better shooter, but many times because I was the more consistent shooter. My hold and follow through might have been bad, but not as bad as the shots thrown because of inconsistent loading by other shooters.

Measure your powder and slightly overfill the measure. Tap the side to let it settle to even across the top, if a small bit spills, so what. 4 or 5 grains more or less per shot can mean a vertical string on the target. Swabbing the bore between shots makes the cleanliness of the barrel the same each shot. Pour the powder into the barrel the same each time. Then IMPORTANT, rap the palm of your hand against the side of the gun a few times to settle the powder into the flash channel or touch hole. Then keep the lube on the patch the same each time. Turn the weave on the patch the same each time. place the ball and try to load it with even pressure that does not deform the ball. Push the ball down with the ram rod until it meets the powder and then put just enough additional pressure to feel the "crunch sensation" of the powder compressing slightly. With most flint locks, you want just enough powder to cover the bottom of the pan. Not full or half full. you need consistent spark. TC stock flintlocks were notorious for flints scraping through the high carbon skin of the case hardened frizzens. Once that starts, sparking becomes very inconsistent.

Try to use good english flints, and give the cut flints away. Maintain proper breathing while aiming, and keep a good stance that is consistent shot to shot. Each step takes practice to do it as identically as possible from shot to shot.

Swabbing between shots is sometimes not as important as other steps where you may not be consistent, but it develops a habit of consistency for shooting.,

Last edited by zimmerstutzen; 12-22-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys for the info and tips. I'm taking my Traditions Deerhunter to the range tomorrow and hopefully it will be fairly accurate already. Thanks again!

NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 07:48 PM
The Man

Every 3rd shot gets a wet (not dripping) followed by 2 dry.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 07:48 PM

I always swab with a spit patch followed by two dry patches. It seems to work for me. I think I get consistent pressures by having relatively the same barrel conditions with each shot.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 12:38 AM

If I'm sighting it in a swab till it's pretty clean between EVERY shot. I want my rifle sighted in for a clean bore because the bore is gunna be clean when I'm hunting.

After its sighted in I will shoot without swabbing and see what happens.

Some loads are more forgiving than others. I shot a loose patch n ball combo that was very accurate for me. I could shoot all day and not clean.

Sabots or different bullets might not be able to load a 2nd without cleaning.

Also different powders burn cleaner than others.

Different rifling alone makes a huge difference. My TC barrel vs my fast twist green mountain barrel are totally different.

Only way to learn is to shoot your gun.

Like was said, consistently loading the same is huge. I try to keep everything the same from the way I measure my charges to how much pressure seats the ball or bullet.

Many guys don't get their flintlock out often enough to see the differences the small things can make. My first season I was guilty of it...I knew how to load it and shoot it but shooting it accurately was a different story. I made it a point to learn. I forget how many pounds of powder I shot that summer...I was shooting a lot...It was well worth it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Took it to the range today and got it sighted in after taking 10-12 shots. I used a patch I spit on to clean after every 2 shots followed by 2 dry patches and it worked great. Thanks for all the info everyone and good luck out there!

NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 11:51 AM

10 or 12 Shots ? Your mouth must have been like a desert ????

WILLY P

Last edited by willyp; 12-24-2016 at 11:51 AM. Reason: s
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyp View Post
10 or 12 Shots ? Your mouth must have been like a desert ????
Haha, yeah almost. Thankfully I love the smell of smoke in the morning, lol.

NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page