Scrimshaw how 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Scrimshaw how 2

When 11B4PT2 started the other scrimshaw thread he was asking "How to do it and if it was hard" so since I am in the process of doing one I thought I would take him thru the steps. This horn was bought thru the internet a few years ago and advertized as "Scrimshaw Quality" and it is a nice horn. There needs to be alot of white to show off the design and I like the tip to be a contrasting color so when you carve it shows this off as well. All carving was done free hand with a dremel tool. Spout and main plug were turned and main plug glued then I like to add pegs. If the large opening is not quite round it can be boiled and shaped. I put a small tapered flower pot in the end till its cool and will retain a round shape. The main thing is the finished horn must be smooth with no imperfections as this will hold the ink and look bad. Here is the finished horn ready for the picture to be applied. Any questions, please ask and I will update this as I go along and time permits.

11B4PT2 I hope this helps you.
Pappy

Friends don't make promises they can't keep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Scrimshaw - Day 2

Got some time to work on the horn this morning. Its going to my insurance agent who always wanted one after he saw my work while doing a home inspection for a new policy. He is big into deer hunting so a deer is whats going on this horn. The picture does not have to be complete, just a ruff outline of what your doing. Detail can be added as you go along and put ink on what you have done. After the subject has been put on the horn I spray it with clear lacquer so that as I scrim I dont rub off my lines. Another thing that helps is to use a sand bag to work on as this helps support the horn as you work it. I always do the main picture first cause if it gets realy screwed up I can sand it off and start over. After its done I can add some accents and fancy it up some.

Next is scratching the picture into the horn but time is a little tight Friday so it may be the weekend before I can get back to this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Scrimshaw - Day 2

you have a lot of talent.scrimshaw,checkering its all nice work cannot wait to see the finished product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Is this a pencil sketch first? then scrimshaw the lines?

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredusne8
Is this a pencil sketch first? then scrimshaw the lines?
Yes sir, draw your picture and get it the way you want it then lock it in with the lacquer and it will not rub off. The next step is the scrimshaw using the drawn picture as a guide.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Scrimshaw how 2

Pappy,i'm really going to enjoy this labor of love of yours.So far great,and good luck with this horn.I'm sure it will turn out great.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Got some quiet time today so I figured might as well finish the horn. I use a X-Acto knife following the lines already on the horn. You dont have to cut deep and if you push to hard the sharp tip of the knife will break. Horn is very much like ivory and cuts very easy. The shine from the lacqure helps you to see what you have done. After all lines are cut I apply the ink. I have tried india ink, shoe polish and now use a large marker. Here is a pic after the ink was put to the scrimshaw.

Normaly I would use ligter fluid to remove the lacqure but this time the lacqure would not budge. I used a new kind of lacquer for this horn and acetone was the only thing that would take it off. Once the lacqure is off you can see how you did. If the picture needs more detail it can be added now then go over it with the ink then wipe off the ink with lighter fluid. After the picture is done I add the rest of the detail around the plug and spout. When the scrimshaw is complete I put a good coat of wax on the horn and buff. Here is the finished horn...

I have to say I was not happy with the way this one turned out. It seems like the ink penetrated the grain of the horn and did not set off the scrimshaw like normal. This may be from the acetone or this horn was just more porous, not sure. Hope you all enjoyed this and will give it a try. I will let you know what my insurance agent thinks.

Keep on scratchen!
Pappy
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

lOOKS GREAT TO ME PAP,BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER AND THANK YOU FOR SHARING.ALL THE BEST
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Wow That looks Great

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 02:08 PM

I saw it in person the other day, and as usual, it looks great.

2B, Central Ohio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page