New to muzzleloading - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

New to muzzleloading

I just acquired a 50 cal TC Renegade through a death in the family. I'm a archery guy and know absolutely nothing about them. Not looking to hunt this year. What do I need to just casually shoot this thing? I just want to learn to load it, shoot it, and clean it. I'll work up hunting loads later. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 03:20 PM
Banned

Need a little more info. Is this gun a percussion or flintlock? If percussion then you have options as to different powders, such as Pyrodex or black. If a flintlock then you should only use real black powder. Of course with the latter you'll need flints. A Renegade has a 1/48 twist barrel so you have options as to ammunition there as well. It will shoot round balls as well as conicals with pretty good accuracy. Of course for either you will need a cleaning jag, ball puller, patch worm (for removing stuck patches), cleaning solution (easily made yourself), patches for cleaning/lubricating, etc. If shooting round balls you will need lubed patch material for the loading process.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 03:56 PM

Get yourself familiar with this site and then go to the library and get a book by a guy named Sam Fadala on muzzle loading. Sam demystifies the front-stufer and makes it a friendly topic based on a lot of research and comparison relative to loading, powders, flints and all the stuff that goes into making muzzle loading fun, safe and very enjoyable.

Forums - Traditional Muzzleloading Forum - Muzzleloader Flintlock Black Powder

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 04:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

the lyman blackpowder handbook for $25 can tell you about all you need to know to get started. between it and asking questions on here, you will be go to go. maybe someone in your area will jump in and offer a helping hand also.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 07:46 PM
The Man

Good reading here!

M/L Basics

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 09:55 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Both books mentioned are worth having and reading, there is a wealth of info in both of them,

There is a muzzleloader club "The Tomahawks" in York county, it would be a good place for some hands on info to help you get safely started, very informal place to help you get started

the main shooting match is a woods walk which would be very similar to an archery 3D course, woods walks are good practice for hunting and a lot of fun to shoot.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Okay, after much research & help from here, I gathered what I thought I needed to shoot. Spent the afternoon shooting the gun. It was pretty fun to shoot and the loading & cleaning process wasn't as bad as I thought. For good measure, after I thought I had a good rhythm going I loaded a ball with out a charge. I knew it immediately after I did it. Pulling it wasn't too bad.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 12:27 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Well, you got your first dry ball out of the way, that's good!

Lots of parallels between shooting a flintlock and a bow. Form and follow-through are critical to both.

You going to hunt with it this year?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Doubt I'll hunt with it this year. I need to shoot it a lot more before I'd be comfortable shooting at a deer.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 12:44 PM
Banned

Is it a flintlock or a percussion? I don't think you ever did clarify that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page