help me go shopping - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

help me go shopping

I have a traditions deerhunter and aren't to happy with the action. I know it's an elementary gun. Looking for an upgrade with something brand new without killing the budget. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: help me go shopping

Lyman or Thompson Center make quality, affordable, American-made weapons. Either would serve you well before you take the custom-made plunge.

Don't discount building your own. I am in no way a skilled wood worker, and building one takes me several months, but using quality parts and a top-of-the-line lock results in something you'll enjoy shooting. Chuck Dixon's, "The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle", is a great book to start with if you would consider building your own.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The lowest price on line for guns and kits is at MIDSOUTH

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I see you said brand new, but this is the best time of year to pick up good used top of the line muzzys at below value. I actually have people call me this time of year to try to sell. Just something to consider.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 02:18 PM

There are several good used Thompson Center muzzleloaders on Ebay at any time, check them out.
The price of a new TC is about $550.00.
There are several good BP guns on this forum and on Gun Broker also.
Good hunting for that new rifle.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Part of the Community

I've never seen muzzleloaders on Ebay, not allowed. People take them apart and sell them by the piece. If your lucky you may win every bid for all the parts, or you find yourself short a lock or trigger, or even a barrel. Better off going to a dealer.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 04:57 PM

For the price of a new Lyman or TC, you can buy quality parts and put together an heirloom hunting gun. IF,,,, you take your time and learn what you are doing.

Also, before you buy either a lyman or a TC, or Cabelas' gun, handle each model side by side. Some guns feel and look nice but just don't fit a guy of average or better height. Are the sights high enough that you can sight on a target without laying your head over the stock. Is there enough pull or drop? etcc. Many guys find that the Lyman GPR fits them slightly better than the TC offerrings.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 06:07 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerstutzen
For the price of a new Lyman or TC, you can buy quality parts and put together an heirloom hunting gun. IF,,,, you take your time and learn what you are doing.

Also, before you buy either a lyman or a TC, or Cabelas' gun, handle each model side by side. Some guns feel and look nice but just don't fit a guy of average or better height. Are the sights high enough that you can sight on a target without laying your head over the stock. Is there enough pull or drop? etcc. Many guys find that the Lyman GPR fits them slightly better than the TC offerrings.
I'd be one of them! And let me tell you, shooting a flintlock that doesn't fit well isn't the easiest thing in the world to accomplish.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

how important is it to have a double trigger for hunting? I'm a blind squirrel lookin for a nut here!

my other option would be taking it to a smith and working the action, or replacing it??? Thing has like 50 pounds of pull I do like the feel, and it nimble for the woods. I need performance.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

Take a look at the TVM rifles. I am loking real hard at one of their Early Lancaster model FL's right now. They have a rifle called "The Poor Boy". It is a semi-custom rifle that will really get you what you want. They will cost a bit more than a standard factory rifle, but you would have something really nice.

I have a poor boy Southern Mountain Rifle in 36 caliber. It is also a semi-custonm rifle. And I really like it. The wood work is faantsatic, the trigger is great, it balances great, and is very accurate. I can hit a 3 inch gong with it about every shot at 50 yards off handed. So I am very happy with it. Tom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page