Memories - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Memories

We have come to the end of another flintlock season, have cleaned up our rifles and all our gear then stowed everything till we get the urge to make smoke again.

It is time to look back and reflect on the memories we made this year. The friends we hunted with, the new friends we made and sadly the friends we lost who are now looking down on us.

I had a great year, never got a shot, but anytime I can get out with my flinter it is great. Got to flinter hunt with my Son for the first time in about 5 yrs, took my Granddaughter out for her first flinter hunt, she sure got on her Uncle about him missing

Got to hunt for a little while with Tater and the guys on the annual W P A hunt at Moraine, met some new HPA guys had a great time with a great crew. As usual Bucket came through with a new event to make everyone grin.

Spent some time still hunting alone, to be honest it was more taking my rifle for a walk in the new fallen snow just to be alone with my Maker and see if his handy work had changed along my favorite stream. That is precious time for me.

I hope everyone else made great memories this year. Just some thoughts from a old flinter.

anyone else?

For those who fought for it, Life has a flavor the protected will never know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: Memories

My son is 14 and has accompanied me for the past four deer seasons. On the last day of rifle he said "this is my best hunting season yet." I almost cried (sorry, I know I should be tougher than that). We got a couple deer but the fun part of it was we saw deer with nearly every outing and we explored some great forest lands.

I have two other sons and a daughter who over the next 6 years will each have their first seasons in the woods and I hope that we can all have as much enjoyment being in the woods and going to "deer camp" where ever that may be, as my eldest and I did this year. As I age I know I will cherish those memories of seeing boys grow into men and a little girl grow into a lady. I hope I give them something to cherish just as much.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I filled my last tag in the last five minutes of the last day with the flintlock. I have never boasted or taken pictures of doe kills, but to tell someone in the context of your post is nice. Flintlock is dear to my soul. No crowds, no idiots, everyone out there is serious for the most part. If I had to give up all other seasons and choose just one, Pa flintlock would be the keeper!

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nicely put, and I share your sentiments!

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

Redneck..I also had a wonderful season. I never raised my RMC once..but the conditions were perfect and I had a gooood time. Doc in Pa.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

This flintlock season was a ton of fun. It must have been 6-7 years since I've seen the number of deer that I did this year. I wish I would've taken less vacation in rifle season and much more in flintlock. It's my own fault, I have told myself to do just that for at least two years, now. The downside was that I could usually find enough hunters to get together for some chases on the Saturdays. Wasn't the case this year. Still had some good opportunties, just didn't do my part as far as hitting the target is concerned. I'll definitely be shooting more black powder this year!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Very nice memories! My favorite part was taking my son for his very first time. Darn thinking about it just now jerked a tear. He will be huntin' with a smokepole next year. Time in the woods in the new fallen snow gives me a sense of peace like a new sleeping baby laying on your chest. The older I get the more I appreciate each of these precious moments given to us by our creator. They are numbered and you might not want to think about how many actual opening days you might have ahead of you---for me 25 maybe sure doesnt sound like a million anymore.

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:18 AM
Frequent Contributor

Take it from an old timer, been hunting since 1955 and flintlock since it began and you could only hunt certain game lands. This year as many before it I hunted with my son and he is 41 now but it is just as exciting and satisfying as his first season. It is all pretty much the same as when he started except he leads more than me anymore. If there is snow he breaks trail for me. I also very much enjoy being out in God's sanctuary. I was asked by our pastor when I felt closest to God and when I replied out there pointing to the mountain it raised his eyebrows a little. I added this sanctuary was built by the hand of man to honor God but out there was all built by the hand of God for his own pleasure and I am very happy to be permitted to be there with him.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Well said Pa Ridge Runner, well said

For those who fought for it, Life has a flavor the protected will never know.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thats DEEP! WOW------do you still cherish every hunt with your son as you did the first? One weekend we could not hold church service at our church for some reason....we had it here at my house in the clearing next to the house and woods. About 20 in all were here then a meal afterwards of deer, burgers, etc. It hit us all that the first Christian services were exactly like that!

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page